ISO: Stock 3-AC Flywheel(SR5 4WD)

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Dmess
My tercel:: 83 SR5 4WD TERCEL

ISO: Stock 3-AC Flywheel(SR5 4WD)

Post by Dmess »

Looking for a stock flywheel for my 83 SR5 4wd tercel. I am doing a 4age 16v swap and mistakenly discarded my original. Anyone out there can help a fellow gear head out? I will be machining the 8 bolts.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: ISO: Stock 3-AC Flywheel(SR5 4WD)

Post by Petros »

Welcome to the forum!

you are better off making the 4age flywheel work in the Tercel. it has a larger and more durable clutch assembly. You will still need a tercel ring gear off the old flywheel. what you need to do is remove the old ring gear and machine it so the Tercel ring gear will fit on the flywheel. than it is just a bolt on swap. It is also a lot cheaper for someone to mail you the ring gear than the whole heavy flywheel (over 19 lbs!). the two clutch assemblies cost about the same (4age and 3ac), but you will wear out the 3ac clutch faster because it is smaller.

I have done it both ways, much easier to use the 4age flywheel and make it work in the Tercel. There is a small risk the larger clutch assembly could rub against the inside of the Tercel bell housing, but you can just grind or cut away at the bell housing until it clears (it will not be much, usually it fits without interference).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)