Replacing the fenders?

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
KootenayCadillac4wd
My tercel:: 86' 4wd Manual

Replacing the fenders?

Post by KootenayCadillac4wd »

I'm looking to replace the fenders of my 86 4wd wagon. Wanting to make it look spiffy as the primary transport for my window cleaning business.

Is there a good source for new aftermarket fenders?

Thanks for the help!
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: Replacing the fenders?

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Sorry, I can't help you answer your question, but I just think its funny because I use my wagon for my window cleaning business also!!! Haha
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

since there was never a big market for "hot rod" tercels, no one ever made after market fender for it. In fact Toyota discouraged performance up grades, that was not the reputation they wanted for their entry level car.

If you want fenders with custom flairs you will have to carve some out yourself from other after market parts. If you can find some generic fender flairs you can adadpt them to work on the Tercel fenders, but it will be a lot of work. Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

I have bought replacement fenders from Lordco. It's been several years but you could see if they are still available.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

you might find OEM type fenders, but the quality is not as good as the factory fenders. they are thinner and do not have as good base paint so they rust through faster.

What I thought you were asking was about aftermarket fiberglass fenders, those were never available. Too bad, you can even buy fiberglass fenders for Volvos, VW, even most British made cars, but not for the Tercel unfortunately. Fiber glass would be nice, no rust, and usually lighter too.
KootenayCadillac4wd
My tercel:: 86' 4wd Manual

Post by KootenayCadillac4wd »

4wdEconoBox wrote:Sorry, I can't help you answer your question, but I just think its funny because I use my wagon for my window cleaning business also!!! Haha
Ha, brilliant :D . A client just told me I should get a truck or a van.. A smiled and nodded. Have you decked yours out at all for the business?

I'll check at lordco. I'm guessing custom fiberglass fenders would be pricey?

Thanks for the ideas everybody.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

KootenayCadillac4wd wrote:I'm guessing custom fiberglass fenders would be pricey?

IF you live in a rust belt, they would be a bargain at any price. I doubt anyone every made any fiberglass replacements (if you find any let me know!).

you would have to make your own, which I have thought about lots. You take one metal one, hopefully in decent shape, fix every defect in it, and perhaps add more flar or other custom mods, and than use it as your mold plug. than make the fender mold from it. than you can make as many as you want.

I have considered making some, but too much work and likely several hundred dollars in supplies (and lots of work) to get the first one. Of course you might be able to sell a few on this forum made from your mold, but you will not make a lot of money off of it, those that drive Tercels are not exactly big spenders on custom parts.
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Nah, I haven't done much, they only things I've done is make a wood floor for the back so that my buckets have a good place to sit and I made a small boxed in section for my small accessories and cleaning solution haha. I'm in the process of making a nice roof rack so that I can have a good place for my poles and step ladder.

I did think about your fenders though, a late 80s Jeep Cherokee has fender flares on them that you might be able to chop up and adapt to fit the Tercel, they both have the same "square" type of arch. I thought about trying it out one day specially since I happen to own a late 80s cherokee haha.