1987 TRANSMISSION: help needed

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Ben.alexander94
My tercel:: 1987 std Toyota Tercel 4x4 wagon

1987 TRANSMISSION: help needed

Post by Ben.alexander94 »

Hey there! So I am a full time college student and a full time Tercel lover. Recently my transmission went out. I have exhausted all potential resources looking for the parts that will be needed to fix her. I cannot find anything without purchasing a whole car. Being one that believes in paying for school without debt I am in a tight financial position that wouldn't allow me to pursue buying a whole new tercel as an option. I really would hate to see the ol girl never be on the road again. So, I have come to the kind folks at Tercel4wd.com.
If there is anyone out there that either might have a transmission, transmission parts, or even suggestions I would be so greatly appreciative. I am not asking for anything free, just options that might make economical sense. I have a 1987 manual 5 speed with the extra low gear. Also, I have a 3a engine. I cannot seem to find any numbers on the tranny so this is the only way I can describe the transmission. Again, if there are any suggestions or potential leads I would be so greatly appreciative! Thank you all!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: 1987 TRANSMISSION: help needed

Post by Mattel »

Hi Ben, welcome to the forum, please put your location details in your profile so we know where you are.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Have you removed the tranny? What went wrong, describe symptoms. I have some tranny parts if it is fixable.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

This ad says they have a transmission for sale. It's in Spokane.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/5403606727.html

Bunch of stuff so I took a video. For real. Here's the link. https://youtu.be/ATwkQOQUrJ4
You can also search YouTube for kieth7000
Have some parts not in video.
Such as short bed 4wd frame 1980
Tercel 4wd transmission
Ben.alexander94

xirdneh wrote:Have you removed the tranny? What went wrong, describe symptoms. I have some tranny parts if it is fixable.
Hey Bob, the input shaft had completly shredded going from the clutch to the transmission.
Ben.alexander94

Mattel wrote:Hi Ben, welcome to the forum, please put your location details in your profile so we know where you are.
Hey there! I updated the profile! Let me know if that looks alright.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

if only the input shaft is damaged, that should be a fairly easy fix. If the gear end where it is inside the trans is buggered up, likely it will have to come apart to replace parts. there is a big idler gear between the input shaft and the trans main shaft that typcially fails when it is allowed to run low on gear oil. it is high up in the gear box, and gets lubed by splash from the sump, if it is low, it runs dry and the gear teeth wear, fatigue, and than finally break off. All of the gear teeth and broken metal has to get cleaned out, all of the other parts inspected for damage, and replacement parts installed. Unforutnately if the damage is beyound the input shaft, the whole gear box has to come apart to replace the parts and verify there was no other damage.

Forum member Xirdneh is the most experiance with doing these kinds of repairs. post some pictures of the damaged parts if you can, we might be able to tell what it needs from pictures.

good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)