where can i find one of these cup holder/caddies

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: where can i find one of these cup holder/caddies

Post by dlb »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Walmart

i'll also give a firsthand experience that keeps me from supporting walmart. my wife works for a small local charity that provides therapy to special needs children. small local charities rely on small local businesses because in a small community, that is great advertising for a small local business.

when walmart came to town, it killed a lot of the small local businesses that had supported my wife's charity. that means less funding for an already struggling social program. naturally, my wife approached walmart in the hopes of securing some funding through them, but she learned that a massive multinational company gets zero multinational PR from supporting a small charity, which makes it worthless to them. so they give only tokens to the communities they operate in and send the majority of their PR funding to big ticket charities that everyone knows of, like the canadian cancer society. that's good for those big charities but it means that small charities that work 100% in the area lose out on a ton of funding. it's a trickle down effect, or lack thereof: walmart kills small local stores which in turn kills small local charities which in turn means less local support for those in need. meanwhile, the big businesses and charities in the major centers grow. the obvious problem here is that there are people in need everywhere, not just in major centers.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Tom: I'd really like to hear your reasons though!

David, that sounds fair, but anywhere I've lived the small businesses were already dead due to oil busts or many years of farm failures, etc. One place I lived in resisted getting a Walmart until 2006 (!) and by then there was nothing left in town so they basically begged walmart to open a store.

Of course, on the flip side, there's nowhere else really to go as every other discount/general store is gone now.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

I wonder if that caddy came out of an SUV. I would love to find out where that came from.
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

I showed the pic to another car guy today he thinks it looks like it is from a dodge car going to dig futher
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

Found something called the Rugged Ridge Ultimate Locking Center Console at JC Whitney. Searched using "1984 toyota tercel SR5"
Hard to tell if it's the one... from the picture of that car or from the product picture on JC Whitney's page.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/rugged-ridge-u ... y1984g12j1
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

it's similar but not quite the same, mark. notice that the one in this thread has a cubby just behind the cupholders, with the lock for the console on top of the console. the 'rugged ridge' has no cubby behind the cupholder, and the lock is on the front of the console. still looks perfectly good though.

but holy crap!! $130?? that's steep.
JackWagon
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel Wagon FWD

Post by JackWagon »

Will the center console from a 4wd model fit on a fwd? Seems like it is a functional piece and the stick shift cut out for the 4wd could re-purposed to hold my phone/iPod. I have blue and gray interior if anyone has one on a parts car. Curious to see how it attaches to the tunnel. I'll look for the armrest/caddie too
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

I have both fwd and 4wd the console wont fit right in .the shifter in the 2wd is back about 3" I think the parking brake handle is back too,
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

The tunnel is also completely different!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you will either have to modify another console from another car (that is about the right size) to fit in the Tercel, or you will have to make one.

I have seen custom consoles made to hold extra gauges and switches. make a pattern with correlated cardboard, than make one out of 1/4 or even 1/8 plywood (marine grade would be the best if you can get it), glue and screw it together with corner strips of wood. Than glue on a thin layer of foam, and than a layer of vinyl or fabric (or even leather for that custom look!). if done carefully it can look "stock". or you can make it look "high tech".

here is a custom home made center console for a mustage:
mock-up;

assembly;

final "look":

here is a "tech" looking one in a Toyota, might look out of place in a Tercel, but I like it;

'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

How about this one?

http://www.motorheadautoparts.com/item. ... fgodB7AAOg

Looks close, looks like the locking storage door slides and is in the open position in the picture. Not a bad price.

More on the TSI website, looks like this model is called "the clutter catcher" HA!

http://www.tsiproducts.com/dotnetnuke/C ... fault.aspx
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

I saw those ones to ,they look to wide only have 6 1/2 inches between the seats every thing I find close is 8 1/2 wide still looking