WTB: rear deckboard/Package Tray for '84 SR5 WAGON 4wd

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
84sr54wd
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 sr5 4wd

WTB: rear deckboard/Package Tray for '84 SR5 WAGON 4wd

Post by 84sr54wd »

Hey guys,

I just bought an '84 SR5 4wd Wagon (Has not been delivered to me yet) and I need to try and find a rear deckboard. Seeing as these are so hard to find and rare, I will consider one of any color. I cannot find them anywhere. My car is light blue so I am assuming that the OEM deck board in it was the GRAY one. If anyone has a read deck board that will fit an '84 4wd wagon, please contact me. Thanks!
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: WTB: rear deckboard/Package Tray for '84 SR5 WAGON 4wd

Post by irowiki »

People have made cargo covers out of home made materials but I Cannot find the thread right now.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
walkersimpson
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5, 1984 toyota tercel FWD, 1987 toyota tercel SR5 (shata1)

Post by walkersimpson »

If I were you I would make one I can take pictures and give you some measurements so it will be easier for you to make one and would be stronger then the original cargo cover once it is made just staple or glue some carpet or fabric of your choosing. If your handy you could make one out of some thin ply wood, some kind of rod or bar for mounting and hinging points. I have only ever found one at pick and pull and it had already sat out in the rain for a few days and is all warped and I used some pieces from it to fix another one I had and realized how easy it would be to make one but had no wood or monies at the time. So if your interested in putting one together I will take some pictures and measurements. Hope you either find one or make one that can actually hold stuff on it without you thinking its going to break in half
walkersimpson
84sr54wd
Advanced Member

Post by 84sr54wd »

walkersimpson wrote:If I were you I would make one I can take pictures and give you some measurements so it will be easier for you to make one and would be stronger then the original cargo cover once it is made just staple or glue some carpet or fabric of your choosing. If your handy you could make one out of some thin ply wood, some kind of rod or bar for mounting and hinging points. I have only ever found one at pick and pull and it had already sat out in the rain for a few days and is all warped and I used some pieces from it to fix another one I had and realized how easy it would be to make one but had no wood or monies at the time. So if your interested in putting one together I will take some pictures and measurements. Hope you either find one or make one that can actually hold stuff on it without you thinking its going to break in half

Thank you for the information. I am very handy and do pretty much anything. I have already considered that if I cannot find one, I will be attempting to make one. Any pictures and/or information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I bought this car just the other day and it is still out in Colorado. It has not been delivered yet so it is not in my eyesight...but judging from the pictures I have seen, there is no deck board in it. I am prepared to have to find or make one. I can provide my email address for pictures and info. m109rdude@gmail.com. Thanks again!!
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Which car did you buy?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
84sr54wd
Advanced Member

Post by 84sr54wd »

irowiki wrote:Which car did you buy?

The one out in colorado at Victory...see my story in the cars for sale section specific to that thread :-)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have a black one for a 1986, with the cutout for the center brake light (which the '84 does not have), and I have a peanut butter colored one that has some damage but is still usable. let me look in my garage, I may even have a grey one that is what your car had originally.

Although they are useful for privacy I have found them more troublesome since I am often filling the back of my daily driver with shovels and tools, lumber, etc and it gets in the way. though my wife likes it there since it makes the car look more neat and tidy (hiding my tools and equipment), one of the reasons she does not like riding in my Tercel.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
walkersimpson
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5, 1984 toyota tercel FWD, 1987 toyota tercel SR5 (shata1)

Post by walkersimpson »

Got some measurement they are not pretty but I hope they can get you started if you have any more questions I will try to keep an eye on this thread but you can always pm me if you need more info if I don't get back to you on this thread
It's not pretty needs new carpet on it
These are the plastic rods that support the cargo carrier and where it fits into yours might be broken so you might have to come up with your own or find some at a pick and pull or junk yard
This is the cargo cover out side the car the top part (black part) is nearest to the hatch and the bottom is nearest to the seat in the car this is the orientation I have drawn it. These are two separate pieces held together with the carpet for flexibility looking under the cargo cover.
Here is the drawling and measurements only one that's not on there is the bottom of the rod is 3/4" below the bottom of the cover if you build it right you won't need the rods unless you want the nice hinging effect but that is up to you good luck and if you do decide to build it take some picture and make a thread others would probably be interested in it
walkersimpson
84sr54wd
Advanced Member

Post by 84sr54wd »

Petros wrote:I have a black one for a 1986, with the cutout for the center brake light (which the '84 does not have), and I have a peanut butter colored one that has some damage but is still usable. let me look in my garage, I may even have a grey one that is what your car had originally.

Although they are useful for privacy I have found them more troublesome since I am often filling the back of my daily driver with shovels and tools, lumber, etc and it gets in the way. though my wife likes it there since it makes the car look more neat and tidy (hiding my tools and equipment), one of the reasons she does not like riding in my Tercel.

Thank you so much for your efforts here....I appreciate you looking to see what you have. I would def consider one of any color if in good shape since I could recover it in new carpet to match the interior. I am stepping out for a while now, but I shall be checking be in here on this forum daily and corresponding to stay in touch. Thank you again!!
84sr54wd
Advanced Member

Post by 84sr54wd »

Walkersimpson - Wow looking at those pics brings back memories. I cannot wait to get my car. I totally remember that piece in my car when I was 16. I have a photographic memory of it. Thank you for the pics and the work to show me the detailed specs and measurements. It is possible that this piece is in my car and just taken out laying on the back carpeting of the cargo area....I cannot tell from the pics or vid. I have e-mailed the salesman to look for me when he can. I shall def be in touch....look for a PM or thread on here. It will probably be another couple weeks before I get my car delivered....I set up shipping today. Thanks again....very much appreciated!
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Petros wrote:
I don't like mine either it's always in the way i only use it on road trips when their will be valuables in the car at a motel
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

84sr54wd- Don't confine your luggage cover search strictly to 4wd wagons- the 2wd wagon covers are 1-1 1/2 inches longer
where they meet the rear seats and can be trimmed to fit perfectly( i've done it.) Where in VA are you located? I'm in Baltimore, MD and have been mucking about with these cars for over 20 years now. Current inventory is 5, and all of 'em are driveable (see my avatar.) Three are tagged and insured. Probably the biggest collection in the mid-atlantic area. Sometime if you're in the area, we could get together and you could get some cover measurements and see exactly how it's put together (also I've got an '87 4wd you've GOTTA. see.) Welcome aboard, Rich.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

like rer233, i also used the luggage cover from a 2wd wagon. i pulled the covering material back, measured 6 cm and drew a line along it, used a saw to trim off the excess wooden body, and glued the material back down. works great. i didn't photo document those steps but you can see the cover i modified in this post, just scroll down towards the end of it.

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8& ... 165#p63955
84sr54wd
Advanced Member

Post by 84sr54wd »

rer233 wrote:84sr54wd- Don't confine your luggage cover search strictly to 4wd wagons- the 2wd wagon covers are 1-1 1/2 inches longer
where they meet the rear seats and can be trimmed to fit perfectly( i've done it.) Where in VA are you located? I'm in Baltimore, MD and have been mucking about with these cars for over 20 years now. Current inventory is 5, and all of 'em are driveable (see my avatar.) Three are tagged and insured. Probably the biggest collection in the mid-atlantic area. Sometime if you're in the area, we could get together and you could get some cover measurements and see exactly how it's put together (also I've got an '87 4wd you've GOTTA. see.) Welcome aboard, Rich.
Thanks for the info...I have read that these will fit. I need to wait before I do anything to make sure mine is not in the car...but I am gathering info. as I am prepared that it is not. I def. will continue looking for any deck board and I can always modify/re-cover one of the wrong color. I could even make my own...god knows I've made plenty of other stuff over the years LOL. I live in Richmond Va. down about 10 minutes from an area called Short Pump Va. Baltimore is about 3 hours away I guess...something like that. I'd love to see a bigger pic of your fleet of yodas.....I cannot blow the avatar up. :-) If I cannot find a deck board, I am going to be making one for sure. I just want it for the sake of completeness of the vehicle. I know they get taken out a lot and that is understandable, but I need it for the sake of having the total package. :-) I know you guys that appreciate this stuff like I do can relate!
84sr54wd
Advanced Member

Post by 84sr54wd »

dlb wrote:like rer233, i also used the luggage cover from a 2wd wagon. i pulled the covering material back, measured 6 cm and drew a line along it, used a saw to trim off the excess wooden body, and glued the material back down. works great. i didn't photo document those steps but you can see the cover i modified in this post, just scroll down towards the end of it.

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8& ... 165#p63955

Yeah, I might have to do something like this. Ideally I could find a board in good shape...and even if the wrong color....just recover it in correct colored thin carpeting material.