phpbb 3.1

Find announcements, news, and the rules here.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

phpbb 3.1

Post by irowiki »

I have successfully upgraded the forum to phpBB 3.1 - here's what you can expect:
HTML5 & CSS3 Enhancements
We're now using the HTML5 doctype and CSS3 to modernize the codebase, reduce the number of requests made to the server, and speed up page load times.
Contact Page
Visitors, including guests, can now get in touch with the board administrator by using the built-in contact page.
Unmatched Security

Nothing is more important than keeping your data safe, and our record speaks for itself. In the past four years, there have been no reported vulnerabilities in the phpBB software. Meanwhile SMF, vBulletin, IPB, and MyBB have had an average of 10, and as many as 16. That's an average of 10 more reasons to choose phpBB. And just to make sure, we hired a professional security company to audit the entire phpBB 3.1 codebase.

For users:

Mobile device theme!
Revamped notification system
OAuth support (log in with your google, facebook, etc accounts) (may not be turned on right away)

For moderators and admins:
AJAX
Traditionally with phpBB, even simple operations like deleting a post or reordering forums have involved multiple requests and full page loads, which was slow and heavy on bandwidth. We've added AJAX functionality to a lot of these simple operations, making them faster and easier to do.
Soft Delete
Posts and topics can now be removed from public view without being permanently deleted. You can determine this behaviour per user or group.

We're going to try this for a while and see how it works. As always, let me know if something is broken.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: phpbb 3.1

Post by irowiki »

Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Vienna
Advanced Member

Post by Vienna »

As a note the search function as well as "view new posts" etc which rely on it might not be working right now. We're indexing the site to improve the seachability. Should be available soon
snephi11
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel SR5 manual(duh)

Post by snephi11 »

Keep up the work! It much appreciated!
Vienna
Advanced Member

Post by Vienna »

Apparently indexing caused the site to hit a "resource cap" and we had a small down time. We're working on getting things figured out and will update everyone shortly.