Light's on warning/chime?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
JesseN
My tercel:: 1986 2WD DLX Wagon

Light's on warning/chime?

Post by JesseN »

So I have this bad habit of leaving my lights on. Do our Tecel's have a warning and mine is just broken? I was thinking of doing this.
http://www.teamdelsol.com/technical/how ... fault.html Would this work on our rig?

Thanks,

Jesse
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Light's on warning/chime?

Post by dlb »

no, tercs do not have a lights on warning chime. i also have thought about wiring one in but the kind i want seems too complex to bother with. i would only want the warning chime to sound if the lights were on, the ignition was off, and the door was open. anything else and it would wind up going off too often and annoying me.

i took a look at the link you posted and the directions don't make sense to me. the author says to simply splice a buzzer in to the parking lights—that sounds like the buzzer would go off any time you had the lights on, which is obviously not what you want. it needs to be tied in to the ignition so that it only comes on when the ignition is off. i'm sure it's not that hard to do but i never cared enough to bother figuring it out.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

I have a buzzer that indicates that I have left my lights on. It was on one of my first tercels. I keep transferring it from one car to the next. It hangs off the side of the fuse panel under the hood. A subtle buzzing sound that reminds me I've left my lights on. It is piggy backed from one of the headlight fuses to the charge light fuse. One of my parts cars also has an identical buzzer mounted under the dash. I can't remember if it buzzed with the headlights left on or not, but I plan on saving it when i finally get rid of the car. If just the marker lights are on it does not buzz though.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

My first gen has a really annoying buzzer for the seat belts / key left in the ignition, does the second gen have something similar?

If so you might be able to hack into that.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
JesseN
My tercel:: 1986 2WD DLX Wagon

Post by JesseN »

irowiki wrote:My first gen has a really annoying buzzer for the seat belts / key left in the ignition, does the second gen have something similar?

If so you might be able to hack into that.
It does! It really makes no sense to me. Let's just buzz forever when your keys are left in the ignition (unless in the ON position) is all I get from it. But instead of worrying about being locked out, why not worry about a dead battery? LOL. I have the habit of driving with my lights on all the time but forgetting to turn them off when it's sunny. I try to break myself of this habit but it's hard to do.
dlb wrote:no, tercs do not have a lights on warning chime. i also have thought about wiring one in but the kind i want seems too complex to bother with. i would only want the warning chime to sound if the lights were on, the ignition was off, and the door was open. anything else and it would wind up going off too often and annoying me.

i took a look at the link you posted and the directions don't make sense to me. the author says to simply splice a buzzer in to the parking lights—that sounds like the buzzer would go off any time you had the lights on, which is obviously not what you want. it needs to be tied in to the ignition so that it only comes on when the ignition is off. i'm sure it's not that hard to do but i never cared enough to bother figuring it out.

Yes you are right, this design looks like it would be always on. What about connecting the positive to the parking lights and then the ground to the dome light? Or I guess I could just go ground switched directly from the driver door switch? That way It will only chime when the driver door is opened but allow all other key-off, door-ajar, chime-less operations. Maybe add a 555 timer for some advanced dome light delay and effects?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i'm not sure about the best way to wire it in. i think you would need to use a relay or two to allow the ignition and the door ajar wiring to control when the buzzer goes off but i haven't done any wiring like this, stuff that requires a few steps or things to be in place before another thing can engage. i'm sure it's simple enough but i haven't learned it yet.

hooking up to different grounds wouldn't change anything because all grounds go to the frame.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

JesseN wrote: I have the habit of driving with my lights on all the time but forgetting to turn them off when it's sunny. I try to break myself of this habit but it's hard to do.

What about a sticky note on your window :lol:
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

always park close to a wall or other car so you can see the headlights are on when you park. I have done this as well, foggy mornings and than parking with nothing in front of me. You have to develop the habit of hitting the light switch when you hit the ignition switch when you part or you will always risk leaving your head light on. I just got in the habit of if I can not see the head lights are on from the driver's seat, I leave them off.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

When I'm bored I read the repair forums, found this thread that has some neat stuff:

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1652

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i think fingers' post (second to last in the above-mentioned thread) makes the most sense. not sure when but i'm going to try that. yesssssssss, psyched
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i finally got around to doing this on my corolla. i picked up one of these piezo buzzers

from radio shack aka the source. it was $7 and has a sound level of 86 dB. i wasn't sure if that would be loud enough but it's plenty! wiring it in is actually really simple and should be similar if not identical in a terc (i don't have one here to verify this right now though). i used a similar approach to marlinh but wanted it to sound even if just the running lights were on so i attached the positive buzzer wire to the 'tail' fuse and the negative to the 'ign' fuse. now whenever the key is out of the ignition and the lights are left on in either position, the buzzer sounds. only took a couple minutes to hook it up. now no more surprise dead batteries this winter, hoo-ray.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

That's great David. Do you have the part number? I have several more cars to add that to.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i do, the part # is 273-0060. here it is on their website (although when you click on 'product details', it says it's no longer available):

http://reviews.thesource.ca/9026/273005 ... eviews.htm

be warned though, it's pretty loud! not deafeningly so but more than your usual warning chime.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

How about just wiring your headlights to the ignition?
car running =lights on
car off=lights off
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

Depending on how much power your buzzer uses, you could splice into the stereo wiring to make this work.
It will take a relay with an 87a pin to make work.
Wire the 12v side of the buzzer to the stereo wire that gets 12v when the headlights are on (don't know color, use a multimeter...)
Wire the ground side of the buzzer to pin 30 on the relay. Wire pins 87a and 86 to ground. Wire pin 85 to the stereo wire that has 12v when the ignition is on, but is at 0v when off. There is a stereo wire that has 12v all of the time, don't use that.
This will supply power to the buzzer whenever the head or parking lights are on, but the circuit will only be complete to buzz if the ignition is off.