Light's on warning/chime?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Light's on warning/chime?

Post by Petros »

this is easy to solve: make it a habit of checking your lights are off everytime you get out of the car. It is not that difficult to do once you make an effort to check it for about two weeks...after that it becomes automatic for you.

I generally hate warning buzzers, the Tercel one is particularly annoying. I have disabled my drivers side door button so I can leave the key in the ignition (like when I am working on it, loading/unloading, etc) and not have it buzzing at me. the minor annoyance is that the overhead light does not come on when my door is open.

I think permanently wiring the lights to be "ON" all the time the engine is running is really a bad idea too. We have had several newer cars with this feature and I see no benefit to it, if your battery is low it makes it that much harder to get it to crank, but the most annoying issue of all is when you pull up to a home late at night, or say a restaurant or something, and do not want to light up the whole house with your headlights, you can not turn off the lights. This comes up more than one might think, our driveway, and many others, puts the headlights across the windows of the house as you pull in. During the day is no issue, but more than a few times late at night, not wanting to light up the house, I could not turn off the lights.

Personally I want control over all the car functions.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Petros wrote:this is easy to solve: make it a habit of checking your lights are off everytime you get out of the car. It is not that difficult to do once you make an effort to check it for about two weeks...after that it becomes automatic for you.
this works fine in theory but i've had too many times where i'm in a hurry and forget to check the lights, or it's dark while i'm driving and then sunny once i stop and hard to tell if the lights are on, etc. and my wife will never check, period. so for $7 and 5 min of time, i prefer the insurance that the buzzer provides.
Petros wrote:I have disabled my drivers side door button so I can leave the key in the ignition (like when I am working on it, loading/unloading, etc) and not have it buzzing at me. the minor annoyance is that the overhead light does not come on when my door is open.
why not unplug the 'key in the ignition' warning buzzer instead of disabling the driver door button? that way you would still have the dome light when you open the door.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that would work too, but I had the interior panel off during some other repair or cleaning, saw the connector for the switch and just unplugged it as a "test". never bother to put it back and do not want to hunt down the correct wire under the dash. Just unplugging the darn buzzer would be easier in fact, but I was there where the switch was, and took the opportunity when I had it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

This would be a godsend to me, sometimes I leave for work and turn the parking lights on because it is just dark enough out, and I don't notice they're still on when I get to work!

For $6, I'll give it a go on a tercel. Long term, I'd take it further and wire in a switch so if you needed your lights with the engine off, no buzz?

US link:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062398
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

irowiki wrote:Long term, I'd take it further and wire in a switch so if you needed your lights with the engine off, no buzz?
that's bloody brilliant, paul. i'm going to rip off your idea.
drege
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Hadatercel

Post by drege »

Mine came with a buzzer box (I forget where it was, maybe in glove box or rear gear storage compartment) when I was fiddling around in the fuse/relay locales I saw what I think was a receptacle for the little black box, now I want to hunt it down, plug it in and turn on the lights.
Screw it, I will . . .
It takes more fossil fuel resources to produce new vehicles than it would take to maintain and fuel any 70's or 80's vehicle for a million miles.
jaydee911
My tercel:: 87 t4wd

Post by jaydee911 »

My 87 sr5 only has a buzzer for the keys. Leaving the lights on or doors open i hear nothing. All though i do have a dash light telling me of a door is open.

Am I missing something or does mine just have the key buzzer? :?: :shock:
87 tercel wagon
87 toyota pick up 4" on 33s flat bed
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

You should hear a buzz if you open the door with the keys still in.

There is no stock headlight buzzer.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Buzzer only works on L F door.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
jaydee911
My tercel:: 87 t4wd

Post by jaydee911 »

Thanks ^ :)
87 tercel wagon
87 toyota pick up 4" on 33s flat bed