AN IMPORTANT READ! Why never use 4WD mode on dry pavement?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
melzy
Advanced Member
My tercel:: tercel 4wd 1983

Re: AN IMPORTANT READ! Why never use 4WD mode on dry pavement?

Post by melzy »

Hi guys I'm freaking out to have read this after driving the car around in maybe 4wd as that's how it was when I baught it and when the owner went with a test drive with me was also like this. There's so many faults with the car already I'm scared this is another one and after reading how much tercels are worth and buying a doer upper at 2500k UK I'm so sad :( the car drives quite bad may exlain as well as heavy steering. I feel cheated! How can I put it into fwd and is the car in 4wd? I will attach picture. Going camping in the morning scared to set off without advise. T:hanks all x :oops: :idea: : :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

That looks like it is 4WD. With the wheels pointing straight ahead you should be able to push the lever forward to put it in 2WD. It should go in fairly easily unless the driveline is binding. Different size tires.
melzy
Advanced Member

Post by melzy »

What does the driveline binding mean? Sorry pal complete newb! Have I damaged the car driving in 4wd? I wonder why the owner had in 4wd maybe it's broken and stuck. Cheers anyway
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

'driveline binding' means that if you are turning tightly on pavement, it will feel like the car is fighting itself. it will sort of hop or lurch or you might hear small tire screeches.

i agree, it looks like it's in 4wd. apply gentle forward pressure to the 4wd shifter with the wheels pointing forward and if it doesn't go, slowly turn the wheel each way while continuing to apply gentle forward pressure to the 4wd shifter. i sometimes find i need to be coasting forward with the transmission in neutral to relieve more pressure from the driveline. if you can do all of this on gravel or mud, that's even better. the more a surface allows the tires to slip a little, the easier it is to shift in and out of 4wd.
melzy
Advanced Member

Post by melzy »

Thanks you rock! Will try in the morning on some mud. What What complex beasts these cars are. Hope she unstiffens with some persuasion :p
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

It if it still drives you likely did not harm anything, it just puts some extra stress on the drivetrain. If it still works it is likely all okay. getting it out of 4wd can be tough because of the pressure on the drive train. This usually happens when the air pressure is low or uneven in the tires...er i mean tyres for you. if they are worn unevenly or even different sizes or different brands the rolling dia will be different and it puts stress on the drive train since each wheel will want to turn at a slightly different speed. No as much an issue on "soft" surface roads (dirt, gravel, etc) or even on wet or snowy roads.

Check air pressure is the same, check wear is even, sizes are all the same, and brands are all the same. If any of these is off fastest way to get it out of 4wd without risk of damage is to jack up one of the back wheels so it is free to rotate. that takes the stress of the drive train and it will just slip out of 4wd at the lever.

If you put even air pressure on all tyres it will help this situation a lot. Just when it is time to get new tyers you replace them all at once with the same size and same brand. If you do that I would suggest going to 14" wheels, preferably alloy (less flexy) and go with the appropriate size new tires ...tyres.. to get approx same rolling dia.

Good luck, have a good time on your trip.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

stuck in 4WD
i have had good luck getting it unstuck
by putting it in reverse and while backing up fast and straight pushing clutch pedal down and pushing lever forward to FWD
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
melzy
Advanced Member

Post by melzy »

Hey guys thanks for all your help I managed to find out it wasn't in 4wd as I managed to pull down fully with wriggling the shift down fully into 4wd. it lit up green displaying was in 4wd. Then I pushed it out to the middle where it was originally, so I'm thinking it was that which confused me as does not push all the way forward? Does anyone else have a shifter that sits in the middle when in fwd? Also managed to drive 200 miles and she loved stretching her legs seemed to ride better on a long stretch!
Last edited by melzy on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

its probably the way the linkage under the car is adjusted
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

agreed with xirdneh. the 4wd shifter connects to a rod that sits along the left side of the transmission. this rod is threaded at both ends so you should be able to adjust it to change the resting positions of the shifter.
terrytercel
My tercel:: 1986 SR5 1984

Post by terrytercel »

just typed up 'quick reply', submitted and nothing, its gone...
I couldn't get out of 4WD, shifter wouldn't budge. never before have had this problem.
Latter drove into town, 25klms, then noticed 4WD light on, had totally slipped my mind.
Tried again to shift to 2WD, shifter would not budge, was bending, I was sure something would 'SNAP'.
Big Strong Fruit & Veg shop owner tried to get it out of 4WD mode.
I persevered and final won, how terrified to select 4WD in case I can't get it out.
Was stiff to shift to 4WD even following 'correct' procedure.
I infrequently use 4wd when warranted, very handy tool to have.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I've found it easier to shift out of 4WD by easing up on the gas (removing foot from accelerator) and then moving the lever. But I guess you tried that? Beyond that, I have no suggestions.
One more thought - are the front and rear tires the same size and inflation? It does make a difference.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

if it worked before without problems likely you have a lot tire, if so have it check for leaks and fix it. when all 4 wheels are same size, and same air pressure, it should shift in and out of 4wd fine on loose surface road or hard surface if vehicle is steered in straight line (no pressure or stress on the drive train). usually backing up while hold steering wheel so car steers straight will make it easier to shift out of gear.

there is a slight possiblity something is wrong in the trans, but not likely. chances are you have a low tire.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Toadrancher11
My tercel:: 85 wagon4x4

Post by Toadrancher11 »

I may be new and ignorant but I find this kind of redundant -everywere you look about the tercel 4x4 system there is always warnings about using 4 wheel drive on dry pavement so --seems to me DON"T DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! duh!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Toadrancher11 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:19 am I may be new and ignorant but I find this kind of redundant -everywere you look about the tercel 4x4 system there is always warnings about using 4 wheel drive on dry pavement so --seems to me DON"T DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! duh!!!!!!!!!!!!
you must be new around here. It does happen a lot and for that reason Toyota made it's next 4wd cars 'all trac' with a permanent 4wd system with center diferential and a whole lot of extra weight. It also gave the tercel a reputation for poor quality gearboxes which was often driver fault.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms