civic wagon vs. tercel wagon...

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Retroloc1
Advanced Member

Post by Retroloc1 »

Here the Coupé corolla RWD (AE86??) had a rear LSD with 4.10:1 ratio.
Tercel after 1984 had also a 4.10:1.
It's far harder to find an old coupé that a Tercel in a boneyard, but is this swap easy ?
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Over here the AE86 GT-S had a 4.3:1 but there are 4.1:1 gearsets available. They probably used them for better fuel economy in certain places. The axle is supposed to fit as far as suspension mounting and shocks and springs but the driveshaft will have to be different - probably shortened. The GT-S differential housing is quite a bit bigger.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

According to fueleconomy.gov, the '89 Civic 4WD gets 25
MPG in the city and 26 MPG in the highway.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Tercel4wdQuébec

Post by Tercel4wdQuébec »

The major point is the "easy-and-cheap-to-fix"

You can be ANYWHERE, if you have a cutter, duct tape, and a few tools.. you're okay man..

3A engines are impossible to burn, except if it overheats, lack oil, or beated always (and.. even if it's beated it doesn't burn)
Montréal, Québec, Canada<br><br>Tercel 4WD Wagon DLX 1987, 383 000 KM, Original Engine, Light Silver, Black Deluxe interior, 6-spd, Owner since 1998, repainted perfectly in 2001, Installed Factory A/C removed from a 85, SR5 3-spoke steering wheel, SR5 tach. cluster, SR5 intermittent wipers, Anti-theft system, Kenwood CD Player, Pioneer Speakers<br><br>Corolla SR5 Wagon 4WD 1989, 314 000 km, two-tone green, 5 spd, perfcet condition, repainted in 2003, Factory A/C, perfect shape.<br><br>Tercel 4WD Wagon DLX 1987, 230 000 KM, PARTS CAR, Light Blue, 6-spd, front chassis rusted, has broken, Good Engine, Good Trans, Black Deluxe interior, My Spare parts Car<br><br>WE FRENCH CANADIANS LOVE HIGH MILEAGE TOYOTA'S
DaveG1
Advanced Member

Post by DaveG1 »

for what it's worth, IRS rear ends work better off road that solid axles. IRS allows for better articulation and keeps the rubber on the ground where it is supposed to be. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, no? When your left tire drops into a hole on your solid axle, it forces your right tire up into the wheel well. That's why the original HUMMER is 4 wheel IRS, as is the Land Rover. The Rover has the most usable travel of any production truck available, or it did as of a few years ago. For our purposes though, I would bet the 'yota is the way to go bc it must be much stronger.
dug320
Top Notch Member

Post by dug320 »

I have had the pleasure to work on the Honda and Toyota.

The Honda is a bit more refined but parts are a challenge, say hi to the dealer. Rust is a problem (more than Tercels) and the seats are less than comfortable. Not many in the wrecking yards. Fixing it made me think my hands are too big.

Tercels are crude (compared to Honda) but the technology works so well. The Parts are easy to get and you do not need the dealer (for most). Wreckers usually have some to pick over. Easy to fix and learn to fix.

The one HUGE advanatage Subaru has over everyone is the horizontally opposed cylinders; Amazing torque. Just ignore the valve issues, leaking head gaskets and poor quality control.
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

dug320 wrote: The Honda is a bit more refined but parts are a challenge, say hi to the dealer. Rust is a problem (more than Tercels) and the seats are less than comfortable. Not many in the wrecking yards. Fixing it made me think my hands are too big.
True for the 4WD parts, but most of a 4WD Civic Wagon is the same as the very common (more common than Tercels at my 'yard) 2WD Civics and CRXs. I do agree about the seat comment (and the rust!), my parents have a 1991 Civic Wagon (2WD) and I hate the seats. No other Honda seat will easily fit either, unlike my deceased (rust!) 1984 Civic Wagon (also 2WD) with the Acura Integra seats I bolted in. :D
I think I'd prefer a Civic on pavement/plowed snow and a Tercel off road, why not get both? :)
hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

sorry to disagree on the ifs solid axle debate.solid axle is far superior.if ifs is so great why is everyone cutting it off?it came of my 88 4runner lightning fast.solid axle is the only way to go off road.it is night and day!
there is only one jeep.and that is one too many!
DaveG1
Advanced Member

Post by DaveG1 »

you get more bang for the buck w/ a solid axle. it costs more to make a IFS set up as strong as solid axle. Look at the fastest trucks running the desert, they have IFS set ups. I don't know about rock crawling and mudding, but in the Dez, IFS works well, if you have the cash.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

I think these pics sum up my view on this discussion: :lol: :lol: (I found these on the internet - I think they may have been posted by Retroloc originally.

Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

I don't think ~I~ would be very comfortable using a 2250 lb vehicle to tow a dual-axle trailer with a car on it...I'd be waiting for a gust of wind to blow the trailer off a bridge or something, heh
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Adelard of Bath wrote: I don't think ~I~ would be very comfortable using a 2250 lb vehicle to tow a dual-axle trailer with a car on it...I'd be waiting for a gust of wind to blow the trailer off a bridge or something, heh
You of little faith.. :rolleyes:
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

He was talking about running that Tercel at around 4K going up thru the pass.........doesn't take faith...just a strong right foot.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

IFS sucks for rockcrawling.i hate mud but solid axle seems more popular for it as well.desert racing is another story.desert racing usually uses coil over shock ifs.the torsion bar IFS sucks for everything as far as i am concerned.
there is only one jeep.and that is one too many!
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

takza wrote: .........doesn't take faith...just a strong right foot.
I was thinking more along the lines of a tiny light vehicle getting pulled around by a trailer much larger and heavier than tow-vehicle...blah! Like, yer driving, and a gust of wind pushes the trailer around...which yanks the Tercel around and the Tercel is only 2250 lbs....and then don't get me started on "panic-" or "emergency-situations"

I don't mean to tell everyone how to tow, though.