General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD SR5 Wagon : "The Brochure Car"

Tercel Design Story

Post by bryanthompson »

Hi guys-

I come bearing Tercel Treats today.

These are concept sketches and design reviews from Car Styling Magazine circa 1982/83.

It's fun to see the Tercel's design history. The two design themes that were not chosen would have made for some funky four-wheelin' to be sure!

The best part has to be the Tercel's debut Concept Car: Themed as the Ultimate Bird-Watching Vehicle.

Enjoy!

Bryan

PS_ I think someone NEEDS to modify their car to have those outrageous gull-wing rear window hatches from the Concept Car.. :D
IMG_0674.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Re: Tercel Design Story

Post by bryanthompson »

tercel_carstyling40_b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

tercel_carstyling40_c.jpg
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

tercel_carstyling40_d.jpg
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

tercel_carstyling37_a.jpg
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

tercel_carstyling37_b.jpg
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

tercel_carstyling39_a.jpg
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

tercel_carstyling39_b.jpg
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

WOW, Bryan!
This is a GREAT addition to the literature! I made it a sticky!
Interesting to see all of the "might-have-beens" and the writer's comments, which come from someone who is apparently design-conversant - and is knowledgeable about the trade (not just a nuts-and-bolts auto writer).
One I noticed right away was his observation of the headlights being inset which would catch snow.
Some of those highback rearend designs are reminiscent of some of those Italian station wagon funeral cars - or perhaps a Mini-Me Popemobile.
I don't think the NHTSA would have approved of that Munchkinlike "occasional seat."
And another WOW on all of the electronic stuff crammed into the back of that "mini conversion van" version in blue - and it had the occasional seat as well!
Thanks for finding this!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Dryfry

Post by Dryfry »

The Birdwatching model Looks cool but would'nt like to be driving it during summer.
What I've got 1986 Tercel 4wd wagon....Paint code 4G8 with brown interior.
Fitted with the Big Block 4A
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

some of those variation are interesting, but I think we got the best variation in terms of utility and looks. Consider at the time a 4wd economy car was a fairly new concept, and all of the manufacturers were scrambling to make one of their models with that option. Within a decade all of the Japanese makers had abandon the idea to Subaru, going for the larger SUV market. And now even Subaru appears to have abandon the idea of a 4wd economy car, making big heavy gas hogs like everyone else. Surly some manufacturer sees a viable nitch for a truly economical 4wd car? Or are we doomed to keep these great little Tercel running forever?

Great addition to the list.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

ARCHINSTL wrote:WOW, Bryan!
This is a GREAT addition to the literature! I made it a sticky!
Interesting to see all of the "might-have-beens" and the writer's comments, which come from someone who is apparently design-conversant - and is knowledgeable about the trade (not just a nuts-and-bolts auto writer).
One I noticed right away was his observation of the headlights being inset which would catch snow.
Some of those highback rearend designs are reminiscent of some of those Italian station wagon funeral cars - or perhaps a Mini-Me Popemobile.
I don't think the NHTSA would have approved of that Munchkinlike "occasional seat."
And another WOW on all of the electronic stuff crammed into the back of that "mini conversion van" version in blue - and it had the occasional seat as well!
Thanks for finding this!
Tom M.
HI Tom-

I'm glad you enjoyed them; I love finding little treasures like this.

Here's hoping one of us comes across a nice big stash of OEM parts! :D

BT
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Cheers Bryan,

I love the digital dash and the background story, the concept vehicle is remarkably like the finished deal. Unlike these days when most concept cars are remote from the finished design. Obviously Toyota had spent the two years between the RV5 and the Tercels manufacturers refining the car.

I really prefer the RV5s frontal treatment a bit like the citroen SM with it's smooth one piece glass lights and grill piece.

thanks again!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

Thanks for the great great information Bryan! So has anyone tried the trick that the woman in the red pants is doing? It looks comfy enough that you could sleep that way if it's possible.
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

All this reminds me why I fell in love with '80's Japanese cars when I was a teenager. They were efficient yet high quality, had cool funky designs, but in a word - they worked. They were lightweight and got great mpg's (right takza?), and are fun to drive because of it. They did what a car is supposed to do better than most, which is why they were wildly popular.

I confess that back then I never thought we would go back to the bad old days of gas guzzling tanks (though there are some cool features of new cars now). A few days ago a friend of mine who is a complete computer dork (no offense to you weirdos) asked me, "Hey car dork, why don't cars get 400 mpg? If cars had progressed as much as computers, then they would!" So of course my answer was, "They don't get 400 mpg's because we have rich programmers/dot commers who want fast, fat, phat, huge, estate-haulers." He put that in his pipe and schmoked it, even though it wasn't what he usually puts in his pipe.

If you have a chance, I highly recommend going to this show: http://www.japaneseclassiccarshow.com/index.htm I went twice when I lived in Los Angeles, and I wish they had similar shows all over the country. My 24 year old T4wd would be eligible next year.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.