Tercel Design Story

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
tercpeterborough

Re: Tercel Design Story

Post by tercpeterborough »

That was wonderful, I saved them and may get them printed out and put on my wall!
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD with some SR5 equip

Post by toughtercel »

curious , I was going show some pictures on other forum and someone mention be careful because of legel action of copy right warning .
St6fan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987

Post by St6fan »

That's awesome, thanks for sharing.
1986 Tercel 4WD Slug-On-Rails
1969 Miro 12' Skiff with 15HP Evinrude
2006 Prius (Sorry, but I totally love it)
testdriver
My tercel:: AllTrac Wagon 1993

Post by testdriver »

thanks for this great post, fantastic to see this concept again, and all the prototypes
celtglen
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84/2WD/Wagon-stock/311+K miles-original engine/original owner/ no mods

Post by celtglen »

HI Tom-

I'm glad you enjoyed them; I love finding little treasures like this.

Here's hoping one of us comes across a nice big stash of OEM parts! :D

BT[/quote]

Say what parts are you looking for?
:?:
yodasrus
My tercel:: 84,85,86,87 4WD @ 2WD

Post by yodasrus »

Hey Brian

Awesome research !

Would like to get in touch with you.

Our Tercel collection has now reached a level of 10 cars......

Just got another good one which I want to fix up and paint.

Wondering about the following things:

Is there any access to color paint charts or samples of colors which offered for the wagons throughout the years?

Let me know and thanks

Thilo
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

Most auto body shops ,that have been around for a wile,generaly have color charts that go back a long time ,there paper manuals with color chips of each color with the paint code,and a number to reference the mixing code. parts stores that mix paint should be able to help you also with color chips and the paint.Their is a paint code on the firewall plackard that will give you the origional paint code ,by the master cyl Larry
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

this extensive web site below offer exact match of factory colors for any car ever produced! they will sell you paint by the quart or gallon, or put it in spray cans for you for touch up. I have used them before and they match better than I can get done locally. Putting it in a 12 oz spray can is a really nice feature if you do not want to repaint the whole car. They also sell body work supplies, primer, clear coat and sand paper, but the prices on those items are not that competitive, so compare that stuff with the prices you can get locally. But the quality of paint is as good as you can find anywhere.

In put he year make and model of the car, and it will show you all the colors, color combos and options for the car. So you can check out what was available year to year for the Tercels. Be aware that the color on the screen is only as good as your computer can duplicated it (which is not always that good), so they also list the color code and where to fine it (for our car it is in the lower line of the string of numbers of letters on the tag on the firewall wall under the hood).

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD SR5 Wagon : "The Brochure Car"

Post by bryanthompson »

Some shots I found of the Tercel concept vehicle. Not sure if they've been shared before, but figured this was the best thread for them to live in.
Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 8.39.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 8.39.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 8.39.13 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

those are great pictures, almost exactly as produced except for the oversized rear quarter window. that is also a very interesting roof rack, not sure I have seen that anywhere else.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

http://www.toyotareference.com/tercel/1983-1988

try this link. It might help you
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD SR5 Wagon : "The Brochure Car"

Post by bryanthompson »

Petros wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:47 pm those are great pictures, almost exactly as produced except for the oversized rear quarter window. that is also a very interesting roof rack, not sure I have seen that anywhere else.

Most likely, the concept car was based on a pre-production unit, which would have had the same tooling as the final cars. If this were the case, as it often is, they would have pulled a test unit and modified it to create the concept.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

growing up in the los Anglese area we had lots of car events to go see, by dad was a bit of a car buff and would take my brother and I to see the Los Anglese car show (one of the largest in the country), as well as other car shows, and some races (including the Long Beach Grand Prix).

I vividly remember a lot of the so-called concept cars, they were very exiting and were expertly built. they looked like real production cars, sometimes we could even sit in them, but usually they were just there on display to attract attendees to their booth. What always disappointed me was that not once have I ever seen one of these cool concept cars ever make into a production car. They were just the equivalent of click bate, car show bait, with no intention of ever producing it. like a bait and switch, fooling potential customers into buying their boring production cars.

that is why the Tercel4wd concept car I think is so remarkable, it comes out of a design studio yet became a successful production model. IT retained almost all of the "concept" features, retaining the excitement of the original concept. I think one of their markets were for camping and bird watchers, those windows were designed to open up. the rear seats could slide out on rails sideways so you can sit in comfort and watch for birds. Though in this country bird watching is a rather narrow market, and those features would add a lot of cost, but the basic look and function of this concept car was not just retained, but the model has lasted longer than the production run of the base model.

the T4wd It is really a genius of a design: simple, rugged, great advisability, remarkable room for it size, mechanically simple and based off the production car, and a simple 4wd system. Its style was also contemporary, not an ugly box like the Samari, Hummer and similar utility vehicles. I do not think there is anything quite like it, either the 4wd cars are too car like (softly sprung with low ground clearance), or too jeep like (not comfortable for a daily driver, or with a family), ugly and rough riding.
Termell
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel

Post by Termell »

So great to see this Tercel design story.
KingBassTrombone
My tercel:: None yet...

Post by KingBassTrombone »

This thread contains more cool design insight than I've ever seen for one car! Very interesting!

Random question, because I don't own my own T4wd yet and I'm curious, can the seats actually make lounge chairs like they do in the image in the 1st post?