3-point belts in rear?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

Mattel wrote:Aus spec cars all had retractable rear shoulder belts too (pretty modern for back then I think). with little plastic clips to hold them back while you have the seats down
maybe post some pictures of them, like the bracket area, etc.? Are they similar to the front seat belts, or are they different?

Maybe you could get some off of some old aussie cars for us americans! :D
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
Mosquito
Advanced Member

Post by Mosquito »

brianp wrote:
Mattel wrote:Aus spec cars all had retractable rear shoulder belts too (pretty modern for back then I think). with little plastic clips to hold them back while you have the seats down
maybe post some pictures of them, like the bracket area, etc.? Are they similar to the front seat belts, or are they different?

Maybe you could get some off of some old aussie cars for us americans! :D
Definitely take some pics if you can--and if you can round up some sets, I'd be interested in one!

Just for the heck of it, I checked, and the front "male" belt buckle clips into the rear "female" part, so a front set probably could be adapted for the rear pretty easily. . . .
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Hi Guys, sorry about the delay, have been in holiday in Vietnam for 2 weeks and since I got back my intray has been extrmely full.

I will try and take some shots of the belts in the next week. I need to rake the panel off from the inside of the C pillar where the belt attaches anyway as There is a dent on the exterior that needs a bid of gentle persuading from the inside out. The centre belt is still Lap only.

There is also a car for $50 for Parts in aus on ebay.com.au.. perhaps might want to part out. I will also check next time I'm ringing up the wrecking yards.

Cheers

Matt
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

[img]http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... dx.jpg/img]

Hoping this shot will come through OK.. Somehow the insert image process seems more dificult on the new BBoard although others are having no probs. (Perhaps a Mac/safari browser problem?)

Anyway hope this helps, I haven't taken the trim off the side yet and fixed the dent to expose where the internals of the belt sit but will keep you posted if I can get this working.

Good luck with your project.

Matt
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

That's better..Left it alone for a while and now I remember how to post images again! try this, good luck with the belt thing. Will explore further for you when I get the chance. (Moving house soon!) and find out where the anchor point is for the reel retractor.

BTW I once vomited onto one of those seatbelt retractors when in a friends Subaru just before he sold it. He never quite got the smell out as it sort of clagged the whole unit up.. ooops to much boozing.

Cheers, Matt

Mosquito
Advanced Member

Post by Mosquito »

Wow, thanks Mattel! I think if I get a set of belts and do a little work with my Dremel I can come up with something close to that.

No need to post the internals--I can take of my panels and see where it all goes.

Uh, interesting about the vomit, heh heh. . . .
Mosquito
Advanced Member

Post by Mosquito »

ACTUALLY, what would be really helpful would be if you could tell me if the rear belts (retractor, etc.) are the same as the front belts--that way I can order some!
brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

I was a little bored after school today, so I pulled off one of the rear quarter trim panels to see what was behind there. There is a mounting bolt for the seat belt, and another one below and to the right, for something else. Possibly for the reel?

Anyway, thought it was interesting. I wonder if any Camrys or Corollas from the same time period would have a shoulder belt setup... Or would the front seat belt reel fit up there? The world wonders. ;)

'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
ccmt
My tercel:: '86 4WD SR5

Re: 3-point belts in rear?

Post by ccmt »

Reviving an old thread here but I came across something that looks like it might work:
http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.ne ... -help.html

Its a 2 point mount as opposed to the normal three point and has the retractor up top like the Aussie tercs have it. You could attach the retractor to the anchor point up top and attach the other end on the floor where the retractor is for the lap only belts. Thoughts?