Banging noise when braking

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Pocwolfsburg
My tercel:: 86 sr5

Banging noise when braking

Post by Pocwolfsburg »

I have been getting a loud banging noise while braking for some time now. It sounds like it's coming from the rear. It was time for a brake job anyway so I went ahead and replaced pads, shoes, rotors and drums. There was no change to the noise. It seems to be less prominent in 4wd. Any thoughts?
I was hoping it was in the brakes, but it appears that it's not. I checked the driveshaft and the u-joints appear to be tight (well tight for 170k). There is quite a bit of play in the rear diff but I don't feel anything weird in there. I changed the diff oil and there weren't excessive metal shavings or anything. I'm stumped. My next step is to swap the diff and driveshaft with the parts car, but I don't want to just throw parts at it.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Re: Banging noise when braking

Post by helipilot77 »

I also have a mysterious noise coming from that area of my car although mine is more of a rattle. Sounds like chain clinking. I can't find it anywhere and I've been under it several times. I thought maybe it could be a carrier bearing but it also feels tight. I might have to put it up on my friends auto lift and have him run it in 4WD and listen.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Check rear shock, top mount nuts
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Pocwolfsburg

Post by Pocwolfsburg »

I would never have thought of that!
Pocwolfsburg

Post by Pocwolfsburg »

Update: I checked the rear shock mounts and they are tight.
Toadrancher11
My tercel:: 85 wagon4x4

Post by Toadrancher11 »

I am not sure what yours maybe but I do know on my jeep I had the same issue and I did the brakes and replaced the shocks all that stuff finally I just looked at everything and it wound up being a heat shield rubbing on the drive shaft so I just ripped it out (the heat shield) no more problem.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Is there anything else happening when you brake? The steering wheel doesn't pull to one side or anything?

If you are not sure where it is coming from, have someone sit in the back when you brake to tell you if the sound is actually coming from there.
Pocwolfsburg

Post by Pocwolfsburg »

I have had someone drive while I ride in the back and it's definitely coming from there. I can feel it through the brake pedal, which is part of the reason I did the brake job. No pulling or anything like that.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Hmm, have you checked the bushings for the rear trailing arms (not sure if that is the correct name)? Get in there with a pry bar and check for movement.
Has your helper been able to determine if the noise is coming from one side?
Pocwolfsburg

Post by Pocwolfsburg »

I have checked all of the bushings and haven't found anything out of the ordinary. I'll probably replace all of them at some point, just for maintenance purposes but they seem okay as of now. The spring bushings seem a bit tattered but it doesn't sound like a spring rubbing on the perch. I'm probably just going to live with it until it either breaks (whatever it is) or until I get ready to refresh the rear suspension/axle/driveshaft. Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. This site is truly awesome!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Welcome to the forum Poc,

Bad bushings might allow the diff/axle housing to rotate too much and the banging comes from the u-joint on the front of the diff assy. bad wheel bearing could cause it too, though usually you get other symptoms when not braking with bad wheel bearings.

There is a proportioning valve in the system that goes to the rear brakes, might be possible that is malfunctioning. But I have not ever heard of that causing banging. Usually it either stops working, or it locks up.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Pocwolfsburg

Post by Pocwolfsburg »

I was going to try and live with it but after driving to work today, I'm going to try changing out the driveshaft for the one out of my parts car, even though all of the u-joints feel tight. I'll change the center support bearing while I'm at it.
mrdance123
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 and 85 4wd wagons

Post by mrdance123 »

I have a similar issue,
a low/moderate bumping thumping rubbing sound while gently braking at low speed,
under 15mph, coming from the rear.
Only when I am barely pressing on the brake,
it is quiet with no brakes, or heavy brakes.
No significant noises or vibrations at higher speeds.
I'm thinking maybe a warped drum, bent axle, loose axle bearing,
or loose broken bent or improperly installed brake shoe hardware.
Have yet to dig in and diagnose.
85 T4 Speedy Blue, SR5, 270-312k, operational R12 A/C, in use.
84 T4 Curmudgeon Copper, 188-294k, my first T4 in 1990, now Dad's daily driver.
RIP - 84 T4 Foxy Blue, 256-288k, engine died 2021, sold to PNP
Sold: 86 T2 Silver, VIN ending 5847, 194k, cherry condition, now in a good home.
RIP - 83 T4 Smokin' Gold, 270k, rusted out body, parted & scrapped
RIP - 84 T4 Quicksilver SR5, 125k, blown engine no oil, had sat 10+ years, parted & scrapped.
RIP - 80 Corolla (purchased new), 0-473k, 358k original engine, rear-ended totaled in 2003.
Toadrancher11

Post by Toadrancher11 »

ok it is only banging when you break? they why would you mess with the driveshaft? I would say if you have done the breaks and shocks and just about everything you can think of- I can add some of my experiences I used to build mustang hot rods when I was younger and usually when crap like that happens we found it to be wheel hop -yep wheel hop -when you break the wheel vibrates if you put anything other than factory spec wheels usually larger as in taller or fatter we almost always had weird things happen that made strange ghost noises it could even be a shackle on the real leaf spring or something vibrations do weird things but I bet it is all connected to wheel hop -this can happen when you break lightly or when you take off we used to put traction bars on to keep the hop at a minimum but for these raging 62 horsepower monsters a person might never ever think about -wheel hop!
Toadrancher11

Post by Toadrancher11 »

oh and I am not making fun of the tercel -I love the things.