Hello from Michigan, just bought a 1984 Sr5

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
TooManyToyota's
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4wd SR5, 1987 tercel 4wd 4a-fe swap

Hello from Michigan, just bought a 1984 Sr5

Post by TooManyToyota's »

I've been scouring craigslist compulsively for the past three years just waiting for one of these cars to come up for sale within 500 miles of my house in western Michigan. I've also lurked on this and other Toyota websites learning all I could about these little cars, and last month I finally caught a break and found a really nice Tercel from Alabama for sale in Detroit. I ended up paying a little too much for it (2250) but I wasn't going to let it go, it's the first tercel 4wd i've even seen with my own eyes in my short 19 year life.

some stuff about it
no A/c
no sunroof
3a-c
102k miles
clean interior (took some serious cleaning out, I actually found a bag of weed while I was lifting all the mats :lol: ) some plastic components are brittle/cracked, ill show pics eventually
trans is a little bit crunchy and whines a bit when cold which is strange for a low mileage car like this but I haven't checked the level or flushed it yet. the previous owner said the clutch was recently done though, so I'd assume they flushed it
not much feel at all in the clutch pedal. normal?
smells like fuel at idle, prev owner said it was a fuel pump issue, any advice?
the cold hot slider is stuck at cold, when you try to slide it to hot, it drags the vent slider with it and is very stiff
the first day I got it
painting the plastic on the sides
engine bay before/after
a video on my youtube channel about it in layman's terms for the non car people on my facebook
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYYR172zML8
I've already taken this thing to a few shows and had mostly people laughing at it which is fine with me I plan on driving it this winter and then doing some more serious restoration work
Cars
1984 Tercel Sr5 4wd 6 speed Red/tan
1987 Tercel Sr5 4wd 6 speed Gold (4a-fe swapped)
1988 Camry Station wagon 5 speed (305k and climbing) (winter rig)
1989 Nissan Pulsar NX 5 speed (autocross rig)
1997 Pontiac Sunfire (Circle track car)
1991 Camry V6 wagon (Derby car)
1987 Celica Convertible 4 speed auto (for sale)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: Hello from Michigan, just bought a 1984 Sr5

Post by Mattel »

Hey TMT that looks like a great buy. That price is fine for low miles and good bodywork. you could find another or even similar year corolla and install the AC from it if gets to warm up there. My clutch has never had much feel either. You can satin black paint the window trim and gutters as well if you are detailing it.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
TooManyToyota's
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4wd SR5, 1987 tercel 4wd 4a-fe swap

Post by TooManyToyota's »

ive never had a car in my life that had functional air, so im used to 4-60 ac :D
I probably will get around to painting the window surrounds, but I haven't yet
anyway, how much whine is normal with these cars. I heard one guy in a youtube video say "the signature tercel high pitch whine" so I thought maybe it was normal, then I also read on here that it means the bearings in your transmission are about to grenade. which is it, I can hear it all the time in first, second, third, and in neutral with the clutch out but not in 4th or 5th. maybe the wind noise just drowns it out at those speeds. its also worrying because first second and third are a bit crunchy but not 4th or 5th
Cars
1984 Tercel Sr5 4wd 6 speed Red/tan
1987 Tercel Sr5 4wd 6 speed Gold (4a-fe swapped)
1988 Camry Station wagon 5 speed (305k and climbing) (winter rig)
1989 Nissan Pulsar NX 5 speed (autocross rig)
1997 Pontiac Sunfire (Circle track car)
1991 Camry V6 wagon (Derby car)
1987 Celica Convertible 4 speed auto (for sale)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Both of mine have had the transmission whine to some degree. Flush and then use a good synth oil has dramatically helped my cars. Just make sure you research the right type of synth oil.. it's on here somewhere. have a search
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms