A day (night) that shall live in INFAMY! (part 2)

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

A day (night) that shall live in INFAMY! (part 2)

Post by rer233 »

Well people, it's happened again (see my previous post from 4 1/2 years ago- I'd post the link but can't- too stupid.)

Anyway, last night I was traveling down a dark 50 mph road minding my own business headed to the Marina to check on the boat when all of a sudden a deer darted in front of me and needless to say, I hit it. Took out the hood, left headlight assembly, grille, core support, A/C condenser, and possibly the radiator (not sure about that- haven't opened the hood yet, (want to wait 'till the Ins. guy has a look- afraid I won't be able to close it) but doesn't seem to be losing coolant. Of course it was my "good" one (in the foreground of my avitar- '87 4WD A/T converted to M/T) with 117K on the clock and all original rust-free paint. Don't think it'll be totaled (hope not anyway) but it'll never be the same. Kinda like your favorite dog getting hit by a car and losing a leg. Still your dog, but never the same.

I know it's a REAL long shot, but if anybody out there has a pristine ivory/off white original paint hood they'd like to sell, i'll pay stupid money for it. Could also use a left headlight assembly (guess I'm a little late, huh Paul?) the rest of the stuff I can probably dig up.

Well, thanks for letting me vent (again.)

Rich.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: A day (night) that shall live in INFAMY! (part 2)

Post by Petros »

I may have the right color hood, I have like four "spare" hoods, I think one is white (kind of a bone colored off white). As I recall it is in decent shape, but has the always present "eye brow" dents from someone popping the hood down and it popping back out. I can not imagine shipping something like that, have to make a sturdy crate. Sending it greyhound freight might be the way to go, other wise the size would make it a costly ship. Unless you want to drive out here and pick it up yourself. where are you anyway?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
rer233
Highest Ranking Member

Post by rer233 »

Thanks for the speedy reply, Peter. Gonna wait for the Ins. adjuster's report (he's supposed to contact me later today.) I'll keep you posted. As for picking the hood up- don't think that's gonna happen- I'm in Baltimore, MD.
85 SR5 Blue
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

Also check with fastenall freight. They offer very cheap freight through their freight company "Blue Global". I have friends that have used them with excellent results.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

AC stuff: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12631&p=97834#p97816

Also, damn. If it had happened a few weeks ago...
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

greyhound freight is usually cheapest for large bulky items, they change only by weight. you drop off and pick up at the nearest Greyhound bus station, most towns, even smaller ones, have a Greyhound bus stop. It is a minor inconvenience but worth it. I once shipped a plastic bumper that only weighed about 20 lbs, but the size made it cost over $100 though most carriers, it was only about $25 by Greyhound freight. fairly fast too, one day in your region, and about 3-4 days across the country.

If you want it I will have to make a crate for it and see home much it weighs. Than we can determine the cheapest way to ship it. I do have a white hood, I checked this morning, appears to be in fair condition (but with hood dimples from being popped down).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
loess
Advanced Member

Post by loess »

Man, that's a drag. Likely someone here has a headlight assembly, but if you don't find one by next week, there is an '84 SR5 in the salvage yard about 45 minutes from here. I'm going back next week to grab some more things from it (crossing my fingers that it's still there) and I could try and get that for you.
LOSTFISH
My tercel:: BLUE 87

Post by LOSTFISH »

hey I have a spare core support, if you need it
rer233
Highest Ranking Member

Post by rer233 »

Thanks for your generous replies guys. Think I'll just cannabilize my previously-totaled '88 SR5. Hood's white with a little bit of rust, but it'll have to do for now. Gonna use the core support and condenser too. Only problem is the reflectors inside the headlights are a dull gray instead of silver and don't work for squat. Thinking about cutting the plastic housings with a whizzer wheel, scuffing the reflectors slightly, spraying them with chrome paint, and gluing 'em back together (Loess- only headlights from '87 & '88 wagons will work- thanx.) Anybody here tried something like this? Any other ideas? Think I may start a new thread about this.

Ins. guy got back to me today- said they'd do a "cosmetic total" meaning I could keep the car with no salvage title. Repair estimate was $1900, and they'd cut me a check for $2200 and be done with it. Think I'm getting hosed on the money (no way I could replace the car for anywhere near $2200) but I don't feel like hiring a professional appraiser for $350 to MAYBE get a couple hundred more bucks. Plus I don't how smart it is to get to get in a battle with your own ins co... Will keep you posted.
85 SR5 Blue
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

rer233,

Knowing your situation with the Ins company is unavoidable ($2,200, I'm surprised they offered that much), I have not paid full coverage on a vehicle I have owned for many years. None of the 3 family vehicles currently in use have full coverage. I simply figure I will be money ahead in the long run if I save on the Insurance costs and put it towards the vehicle. However, I will confess, we could sell the three current vehicles we use and not have $5,000 to show for it. Fortunately, with discussion boards like this, I plan on driving the Terc for another 10 years or more.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I carry only liability insurance on Goldie.
However - I have saved every single invoice for parts over the 12 years I've owned her (anniversary on the 19th!), thinking that if the unbearable happened, I would be able to prove the total investment. Of course, increasing prices on the cars over the last 12 years has not hurt, either.
Well, I hope, anyway ...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

The insurance companies don't care what you have in receipts. I have been screwed by that in the past. When one of my other Toyotas was stolen and stripped I produced all of my receipts and the insurance company didn't care.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
rer233
Highest Ranking Member

Post by rer233 »

Actually, my loss was covered under my comprehensive ins. Covers theft, glass breakage, vandalism, etc. Think I pay something like $40 per year per car- well worth the money IMO. Don't have collision on anything- don't mind paying for my mistakes, but hate paying for other peoples'. From what I understand, not all ins cos will will write comp without collision too. Fortunately mine will.
85 SR5 Blue
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

When I had a claim on my car, I printed ads on Tercels for sale to argue my point to the Insurance company to not write it off. It helped.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member

Post by rer233 »

Tried that yesterday- guy threatened to cut me a check for $1000 and call it a day. Settled today for $2366- now all I gotta do is fix it...
85 SR5 Blue
87 fwd silver wagon a/t