ANYONE KNOW IF THESE WILL FIT??

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
seancromie
My tercel:: (ROVER) 1987 tercel 4wd

ANYONE KNOW IF THESE WILL FIT??

Post by seancromie »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Tercel-8 ... OT&vxp=mtr

Don't use eBay very often because of the the side notes and jib jab and yada yada written around everything so its hard to get a solid answer.. anyone here if these will fit my 87 tercel 4wd? it shows compatible on the list but i never believe those things.. but for $199 for front and backs, add the fronts are full housings not just cartridges.. thats a good deal! thanks in advance
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Re: ANYONE KNOW IF THESE WILL FIT??

Post by rer233 »

Fits 2WD wagons only.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
seancromie

Post by seancromie »

thanks man.. it says in one spot it fits then in another spot says it won't!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the 2wd rear shocks are completely different design, our wagons have the old RWD corolla rear live axle. the front struts (or inserts) would fit, but the 4wd front strut is 25 mm (about an inch) longer to raise the stock ride height for the 4wd/rough road usage.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
seancromie

Post by seancromie »

thanks for all your help man.. once i get this al together it will come!! too bad since it would be nice to get some strut housing
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Sean,

See my post from today, might interest you. As for a new strut body, that wouldn't be bad, but throwing new inserts in the existing strut body worked fine for me. If someone is worried about "pretty", I'm sure they would clean up pretty well also.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I used KYB GR-2 (now called Excel-G) strut inserts, mounts, stops, and boots and have been happy.
Some replace the oil in the strut housing, but KYB said it was irrelevant, so I did not.
I did new front springs at the same time, so will be good until the next millennium - I'd done ALL new front end bushings the year before.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
seancromie

Post by seancromie »

well new inner and outer tie rods, rack and pinion boots and excel-g strut inserts in! drives like a dream and got about 1-1.5" more height in the front.. had the stock struts from 87 in there still! just need to put in my rear monroe ma-700 and front bumper and she will be all good! I'm also running
195-65/14s
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Looking good,

Looks like we had similar weekends. I'm surprised you see a height difference with strut inserts, as the springs hold the weight of the car, while I believe the struts simply dampen shock. At any rate, it looks great. After alignment I am getting the larger tires on and hope it helps fill in the hole some. Wow, what a difference in drive as well, almost feels like an SUV.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

NWMO wrote:Looking good,
Looks like we had similar weekends. I'm surprised you see a height difference with strut inserts, as the springs hold the weight of the car, while I believe the struts simply dampen shock.
Chris
See viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3547&p=26904&hilit= ... ast#p26904
The 212 springs are for AC-equipped cars; that is all that was available back in 2007 - anywhere in the USA. I'd removed most of Goldie's AC before installation. She sits just a tad higher now, because of last year's removal of the condenser and remaining AC stuff in the front.
The Daisy wheels and 185/60R14 tires I installed in 2010 did not contribute anything to the increased height.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey Tom,

My reply was to Sean's comment about added height from changing struts. I look forward to comparing the cars when I make it down this summer. Vacation to NYC in late May, so will have to come down sometime after that.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
seancromie

Post by seancromie »

where did you find new coils Chris? and strut inserts?
seancromie

Post by seancromie »

never mind saw that you got them at rock auto, could you possibly send a link to the exact ones? thanks man
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Sean,

First - without the added height in the rear (Pathfinder springs), a person might actually lift the front too much and have a rearward rake which would not look good, so consider the ride height in the rear.

I would like to get some miles on them before strongly recommending, but I think they are the ticket for me. The pigtail end is a little different and the bottom end is a little square vs tangential, but the spring compensates and seems to land fine when turned loose assuming you take care to land it against the stops top and bottom.
Pathfinder springs added to rear, Moog 81043 coil springs added in the front ($40/pr delivered)
http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/moog,8 ... pring,7512

https://www.amazon.com/Moog-81043-Coil- ... B0035R28M8

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mog- ... wAodgbwN_w

Rockauto has done well by me, economical, quick and professional. Their website leaves a little to be desired as it is sometimes difficult to distinguish between the 2WD and 4WD parts.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

be careful about raising the front too much, check your CV angles at rest, the closer to zero the better. too much and you will wipe out the cv joints in a matter of weeks/months.

Too much rearward rake (front too high) will also make the car handle squirly at speed, the front will want to lift more than the rear and make the steering unbalanced.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)