R & P

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

R & P

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

I have a little play in the front end and I don't think it's the tie rod ends. Based on my inspection, I believe it is more likely in the R & P. How much is too much? It's not easy to see, but you can feel it.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Re: R & P

Post by marlinh »

It's probably the inner tie rod ends. They are covered by the rubber bellows attached to the rack.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it is more common fro the inner tie rod ends to wear out and cause the play, but the R & P can also wear. on the rack and pinion has an adjustment that can be made to reduced any play between the rack and pinion gears. You have to pop off a swaged on cover to expose the adjustment, there was a thread on this topic.

The inner tie rods ends are not too costly, but can be a pain in the neck to remove and replace. Mostly it is getting it broken free to unthread it, the steering tie rods tend to get rusty and frozen in place. ATF makes an excellent penetrating oil to help free it up.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

Didn't shake it all when done, but I definitely had some slop in the driver's side inner tie rod. Looking forward to alignment.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain