Woohoo!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Woohoo!

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

Things are going well, driving the Rusty Frog daily. I'm sure I will do a one-year update post before long, but I have managed just over 20k miles in the first 11.5 months. Finally getting to an improvement that is more fun! New shoes!! And swapping the Nissan Pathfinder springs and new shocks on the rear today.

The front will have to wait a tad longer, as I need to order/install tie rod ends and new springs there as well. I already have the new struts and strut mounts. THEN we can get an alignment and put the fronts on. Can't wait!

Best news of the day was the shop checked the front end to give me an opinion of what was needed, and didn't tell me to throw the towel in. A post for the future, but I've got some Hillbilly rust repair that did get me a sideways glance, but I can handle that as long as it passes inspection :).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: Woohoo!

Post by teranfirbt »

Nice, I'm a big fan of the bigger tires on the Tercel, they look proportional to the car.
hurley
My tercel:: 87 Tercel 4WD Wagon DLX 6-spd

Post by hurley »

Looking good! I love the MR2 wheels. And that's a great color for the Tercel. I passed one up that color and in good shape several months ago, and am regretting it. However, I just got an '87 in metallic brown and am slowly sorting out little problems while daily driving it.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks guys,

That went reasonably well. The Pathfinder springs added just over 2". Now on to the front.

The pic from the rear was after completing one side. I am going to wait until I get the front improved before putting the new tires on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 6-spd SR5 4wd Wagon

Post by GLet71 »

Looks like your taking on the Barto lift, are you using Ford Thunderbird shocks? If so, what year are the shocks off of?
Currently:
Majorette France Tercel 4WD - Fini
Formerly:
'87 6spd SR5 4WD modified Wagon (Ron, the post-apocalyptic summer ride)
'87 6spd dlx 4wd Wagon (Pinkman Got Nuthin', aka Pinky)
'87 Auto dlx 4WD Wagon (Otto, temporary parts car)
'88 6spd SR5 4WD Wagon (Perry, the parts car)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Chris - impressive work, but I DO NOT LIKE JACKSTANDS ON CONCRETE BLOCKS!
Better to put them on stacked 2"x12"s!

I see you have taken pity on probably the last surviving Ford Maverick in Missouri! Was it one that was produced at the Claycomo plant here?
Tom
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

GLet71 - Certainly not going as tall as Barto did, just adding a little height to the daily driver. I am going with a little stiffer spring in the front as well, will have to see what it adds in height. Hoping for just an inch ir little more. As for the shocks, I went with the KYB Gas-a-Just that list for the Tercels. Standard KYB strut inserts for the front.

Tom - My younger son was wrenching with me after church today and I specifically showed him how the jack stands landed on the concrete webbing of the blocks. I also told him, if it didn't line up so nice, the blocks would fail. I wholeheartedly agree with you, a stack of 2x10s or 2x12s would have been safer and is how it should be done.

I'm sure I won't make it down in May as we are driving to NY for a family vaca (probably in a 2015 Ford Transit) my wife is wanting.

As for the 76' Maverick, I believe it is a KC car, but we had to go to Loveland, CO to get it.

I will certainly post pics when I do the front end work and put the new tires on. Clearance will be close on the front of the rear fender.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain