New to the group, couple of tire/rim questions..

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
seancromie
My tercel:: (ROVER) 1987 tercel 4wd

New to the group, couple of tire/rim questions..

Post by seancromie »

Hi all!
New to the group of tercel 4wd! thanks for the addition, just recently got my gem of a 87 off of a guy in whistler B.C. Canada. Love it so far. Though i am new to tercel I am a longtime Toyota enthusiast having owned over 5-6 supras/celicas/corollas all between 83-87 and a 2013 tacoma.. and thats a just a few of the cars over the years. I purchased this as a get away/touring car for me the girl and the dog. We are currently planning our trip to South America this coming January for a couple months where we raise money to help with 10-15 different charities along our trip. We are very excited and this car i have no doubt will get to see some good amount of country!

Before i get to off topic my first question is about rim and tire size for these cars. I have tried to use the search and read through some other topics but i find some start to get a little off topic or don't end up really answering the question at hand. I have found a wicked set of BBS 4x100 15" rims and i want to know what size of tires you think i could run with stock height? i want to go a little more rugged and down the line i am hoping to follow one of the posts on here for adding a little lift. BUT all i need to know now is what tire size can I get in there without rubbing and killing me in power.
Cheers guys thank you! can't wait to share our journey
Sean, Kelsey and Finnigan

P.S. attached photos of the car and the rims I have purchased. Not sure why the car photo is upside down haha but when you open it, it turns right side up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: New to the group, couple of tire/rim questions..

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum!

Nice wheels. there have been a few that have fitted 15" wheels without issues, what you want to do is find a tire size that is near the stock tire rolling dia. You can go a bit bigger, the width is the big issue. I have 60 series tires on 14" wheels and I get a slight rub when I bottom the front struts. I fixed that by bending the fender lip back up inside the wheel well (does not show on the outside).

wider tires will want to rub on the fender, as well as on the frame when at full steering lock. some of this can be adjusted at the body with minor modification (like I did with the fender lip), or perhaps a spacer under the wheel hub. In the rear a larger dia tires will rub at the front of the wheel well when the suspension swings downward, this too can be altered with a hammer and/or grinder. But I would not do that too much, it might allow moisture into the car body.

Sounds like a fun trip. A trip that long means you need to go over every thing very careful, with a car this old there is almost certainly parts that are well worn and either need to be, or soon will be, replaced. Check all of the suspension parts, bushings, rod ends, ball joints, etc. all wheel seals, brakes and all four wheel bearings. If you install a new clutch before your trip, install a new rear main seal. I would also install new from main and cam seals, as well as a water pump and timing belt. test the alternator and carry a spare known good distributor assembly (it has a lot of internal parts that can fail and leave you stranded). A spare fuel pump might be a consideration too, though they are very reliable, if it fails you are stuck (and they do not cost much, a used one would be a good bet as a spare).

In Europe, Australia and Africa they have these crazy charity races across the continent, we have had discussions here about them. I always thought a similar "race" or road rally event from Alaska down through south America would be a blast. Might be fun to get something organized and get a lot of people to enter a jalopy. Aussie has the "Sh*t Box" rally, need to find a way to keep the entries low budget, yet allow creative alterations and low cost mods to make it fun and interesting. the Tercel4wd would be an ideal car for such an event, old subies and baja bugs too.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

some things to consider. For overlanding I would recommend a 14" higher profile wheel for comfort over rough roads and even a light truck tread with tubes. which can be more aggresive and wear well with thicker side profile. Also Steel rims are preffered by 4wd owners in australia as they don't crack like alloy and can be bent if out of shape hit a curb etc.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

195/50/15 is stock diameter on a 15" rim. I've been running 195/70/14's and they make the car look "right", which ends up being a 195/60/15.
For off-roady type tires you can get the BF Goodrich all terrain TA KO in a 195/75/14. You'll probably want a slight lift to avoid bottoming the rear in the fenders/there will be issues with the front hitting steering lock.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the steering has adjustable lock stop if I remember correctly.

I drive rough roads and use my 4wd daily, I choose the 14" wheels with the slightly taller tires to give more protection to the rim and prevent blowout from damage side walls after hitting a rock (it has happened with other heavier cars we own). The 15" wheels with the lower profile tires would have much better handling, though a more harsh ride.

Also, the low profile tires cost much more, and are much more prone to hydroplaning on wet roads. Since it rains most of the year where I live, big wheels with low profile tires are mistake (though they are very popular with modern SUV...mostly because it looks cool).

Something to consider. OTOH, you can have the tall wheels and perromance tires for summer use, and switch to 14" wheels and tires with more aggessive tread for winter.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
oldfaithful
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD

Post by oldfaithful »

Welcome to the world of Tercel 4WD, you will never regret it. LOL. I run 185-55-15 on 5 spoke Miata Rims in the summer and have no rubbing issuse anywhere, they are the same hight as the stock 175-70-13 tires and the ride is so much better with the 15's, plus they make the 'Ol Terc look good too.
seancromie

Post by seancromie »

thanks everyone for all the info already! always feels good the see so much enthusiasts in one place! I will reply with more info later today about what i am thinking as well,
Sean
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

these are 185-70-14 on mazda miata rims,,going to 195-70-14 this summer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

These Miata wheels look like they were made for the Terc. I wish they had them in oz. I wonder if Mazda sold them under a different name here. I'll do some searching. Mattel would you know by any chance, mate?
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
seancromie

Post by seancromie »

Hey guys so i actually ended up scorin a sweet pair of 14" Riken rims in Surrey here $400 with rubber and they are 54.1mm so no looking for any hub-centric rings!! I think all and all the 14s will be a better ride for me and i like the bf g all terrains for a tire.. see how big i can go with them in there.. il have new photos up when they are mounted! Cheers,
Sean
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Jonymoto wrote:These Miata wheels look like they were made for the Terc. I wish they had them in oz. I wonder if Mazda sold them under a different name here. I'll do some searching. Mattel would you know by any chance, mate?
Hi Jony. Its the MX5 here but not sure what year and model.. probably earliest as I think they are 5 stud pattern now.
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
seancromie

Post by seancromie »

Hey jimcrazy are you running stock height? for a tire that is only 3% bigger seems like lots of room in there still! maybe my suspension is just needing some updating haha
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

yes seancromie I have stock in the front and in the rear I put a set of air shocks on to raise it up about 3/4 on a inch just to level it out,,i do have a set of 1" strut spacers I made for the front and will be putting them on in the next or two,,of all the wagons that I have had this one by far sits up the best
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

I have the same rear shocks but with tubing to a schrader valve that is drilled into my towbar. it works really well to raise the car almost 3" when i need it. The good thing is being height adjustable that as long as they have the same top and bottom fittings they will probably fit the Tercel.
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

my valves under the bumper