Minimize Your Shipping Costs at RockAuto.com!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
RockAuto Jessa
Top Notch Member

Minimize Your Shipping Costs at RockAuto.com!

Post by RockAuto Jessa »

RockAuto.com offers reliably low prices on auto parts for both your daily driver and classic, 24 hours a day! Unlike companies who mark up prices to cover "free" shipping, RockAuto offers reliably low prices, and adds only the actual cost of delivering your order to you.

We sell over a million different parts, and a single warehouse cannot hold them all. If you choose parts which are not stocked in the same place, carriers will charge for two shipments. Two ways to minimize shipping charges are:

1. Watch for Truck Icons next to parts in the online catalog -- they indicate parts which can ship from the same warehouse as parts already in your shopping cart.
2. Use our "Choose for Me to Minimize Cost" tool -- which lets you say "any one of these parts would be OK" and then automatically chooses the lowest total cost (part + shipping).

Learn more about these and other unique features of our catalog on our Help with Placing an Order page!

Hiro
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel FWD 5spd

Re: Minimize Your Shipping Costs at RockAuto.com!

Post by Hiro »

Also.... sometimes, it helps to ship multiple orders. I've noticed that sometimes when I order TOO many things, I'll get a higher shipping rate than if I ship things separately; especially if there are big items included. It's almost like if they have to go to another box or the weight exceeds a limit, you get a shipping "penalty". Just a heads up. If the shipping is more than $15.99, then you probably want to start splitting up your cart, even if it's all from the same warehouse.

For example. If I had shipped front and rear struts together, It would have been $20.99 for me. Shipping JUST the front struts was $6.99, and the rears was just $6.99. $14 is still cheaper than $20.99. Just a tidbit/trick I use to maximize cost reduction.
'86 T2 DLX (114,000 miles and counting)
'90 EE4 RT4WD
'92 EG VX Hatch
'95 YJ 4.0L
'05 C6 Z51 (460rwhp)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Minimize Your Shipping Costs at RockAuto.com!

Post by Petros »

yes, I have noticed shipping costs can be kooky. When I add light items like gaskets, seals, etc to a shipment the shipping costs stays the same. But as Hiro noticed, one item too many than it jumps. Might be the type of carrier or package, for example a USPS flat rate padded envelope is pretty cheap, but it you have to go to a box, it suddenly more than doubles. Also, they may have certain shipping contracts with FedEx as well as other carriers, and if USPS is cheaper, will ship that way, but often have to go FedEX fright when above a certain size or weight.

Also, as good as the prices are at Rockauto, I have found that I can sometimes get better over all prices (including shipping) from Autozone or Napa on-line because they offer free shipping on larger orders, or if you pick up in the local store.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)