Difficult states for Tercs?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Difficult states for Tercs?

Post by NWMO »

Hey All,

I am looking towards the future when my wife and I will have the freedom to move away from the Midwest. I have spent my entire life here and love it, it will always be home. However, my better half grew up all over and we have traveled just enough that I too would enjoy trying somewhere different. Whether it is the Rusty Frog or my 52' Styleline or some other project, what states are more difficult for old rusty cars and hillbilly mechanics?

Whatever I have will be driven/used, so I'm not as particular as some when it comes to my projects. A scrap pile, welder and some ingenuity will go a long ways around these parts.

If a moderator feels this should be moved to "off topic", please do. I'm headed out to wrap up the heater core project (stereo, plastics and seat). New heater is working well.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Difficult states for Tercs?

Post by Petros »

stay out of California if you intend to drive old cars. they have a war on automobiles there, and old cars come under particular close (and costly) scrutiny and regulations.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks Peter,

I see a Terc from Maine being parted out because it wouldn't pass inspection. That may not be much different than here (Missouri). The station that inspected my car told my wife it shouldn't be a daily driver due to rust, which is probably good advice for most folks :). I'm looking forward to tackling some of the rust issues soon so I can replace the suspension afterwards.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

so many cars develop serious rust issues in the areas where road salt is used they have gone to the safety inspections. All of those states have developed a whole industry not around safety, but in maximizing the income of the contract repair shops. One member of this forum had to go though a safety inspection in a state where a torn boot and the driveshaft bearing would put the car off the road until fixed. Neither of which are even necessary to drive the car, let alone a safety issue. sounds like a rip off. I would have just removed the drive shaft and tale ot back for a re-inspection. Dip-Sh*t mechanic, I do not tolerate incompetence nor dishonesty.

I would stay away from states with annual inspections. Most states do require and inspection when you are bringing a car from another state, I would not have any problems with that, you get it over with once. It is the annual inspections for either emissions or so-called "safety" that are a never ending source of frustration for do-it-your-selfers, particularly who own older cars.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
oldfaithful
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD

Post by oldfaithful »

We have Safety inspections here in Good 'Ol Nova Scotia (again another Tax Grab) and you can have an official inspection done one day and pass, then the next day you can be driving and be pulled over by what they call Roadside Mobile Inspection Checks, and they have jacks, axle stands, and all the equipment and a couple of GOONS that litterly tear your car apart looking for the smallest little thing wrong, and they'll look and look until they find something and when they do, they tear the passed sticker off and tow your vechicle away to a compound and then you pay to get it out to take it and get it fixed (which there was nothing wrong with it) again another Good 'Ol Nova Scotia Tax Grab. What I would like to know is, why are there Millions of NEW VECHICLES, JUNK as I call them, being driven around with injury and death causing re-calls that aren't being repaired, but yet they are still allowed to be driven, BUT!!! Yet older cars that might have a few non life threating issues don't pass these rip off inspectios.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey fellas,

Coming from the Midwest where we have a safety inspection that consists of looking at one brake, check the front glass, turn signals, horn and w/s wipers, Nova Scotia would be quite a change. I don't figure on getting clear to Canada, but will likely be closer to our northern neighbor. In Missouri there are sufficient inspection stations (little repair shops) with like minded folks, that passing inspection is not a challenge for those in the rural areas. It may be more difficult in the City, can't say.

I can say for certain, I won't move to any state or country that polices the safety of my vehicle just because I'm driving down the road and they want a look. I understand Missouri law enforcement has the same right in that if they see failed head lights, turn signals, broken front glass etc. they can issue a warning and direct correction. I think that is how it should work. If I hit a deer or have an accident that visibly makes the vehicle unsafe, feel free to let me know, but checking for structural integrity because it's old is intrusive in my mind. In my younger years, I had to be careful with my "straight pipe" Plymouth Barricuda, as they could pick on noise and lack of muffler as well, I have no issue with that, though I might have at the time :D .

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

It's a free for all in Mn.

MnDot will dissolve your car though..