Air suction system

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
stngllhm

Air suction system

Post by stngllhm »

I'm working on a young lady's car, and the air suction valve on the air cleaner is dumping exhaust into her intake. Can I just plug the rubber line going to the valve or I do I need to replace the valve. any help would be great.

If it was mine I would just plug it off and if something went wrong later figure it out. I don't want to do something that is going to leave her stranded or mess something else up
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Air suction system

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum,

is this a california model? what year? only California emissions systems have the EGR on the air clearner. I disabled my EGR, bleeding exhast into the intake is done to reduced combustion temperatures and it harms economy and maximum power. It is supposed to only open during certain driveing conditions, but if it malfunctions it will harm performance. In California you have to do bi-anual inspections and smog checks so you would have to fix it eventaully anyway, if the car is no longer in california, take it all off and plug the lines properly.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

On the 87 Tercel I bought recently, there's a pipe & hose that connect the downpipe from the exhaust manifold to the air filter box. I presume that's similar to the california setup.The pipe is bolted to the downpipe where you guys have your oxygen sensor connected. This connection makes the car noisier than my 84 Tercel and I too was thinking of plugging it. I will definitely do that now. The reason there's a difference between my 84 & 87 is - the 84 was designed to run on 97 octane leaded fuel and the 87 on 91 octane unleaded.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
stngllhm

Post by stngllhm »

The car is an 1983 but it has the 4a motor swapped into it it has an egr that is attached to the intake manifold. But this is a deferent setup that is on the air cleaner. The fsmcalls it an air suction and says it should only let air into the exhaust and not let any into the carb
Hiro
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel FWD 5spd

Post by Hiro »

I haven't taken a look at it, so is it a one way check valve?

I'm noticed I'm missing those hose from the Intake Boot to the Exhaust Manifold. I was going to plug both as I thought maybe it was a way for exhaust gases to recirculate into the intake to keep the carb from icing over and help bring the motor up to temp in cold start situation... It'll get cold here in Raleigh. Might have to drive my other beater until I can get more consistent cold starts...
'86 T2 DLX (114,000 miles and counting)
'90 EE4 RT4WD
'92 EG VX Hatch
'95 YJ 4.0L
'05 C6 Z51 (460rwhp)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

stngllhm wrote:The car is an 1983 but it has the 4a motor swapped into it it has an egr that is attached to the intake manifold. But this is a deferment setup that is on the air cleaner. The fsmcalls it an air suction and says it should only let air into the exhaust and not let any into the carb
yes, there is supposed to be a reed valve chamber on the side of the air filter housing, the pulses in the exhaust manifold draws fresh air into the exhaust stream to improve the catalyst performance. It is unique to California cars in the USA, but may also be used elsewhere.

if you are getting exhaust into the intake from it, the reed valve is either broken or missing. If you do not have any emissions testing I would just remove it, a cat that old likely is not working anyway.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
stngllhm

Post by stngllhm »

Thank you Petros that's what I was thinking and there is no emissions testing where we are. I just wanted to ask some people that know incase there was going to be some weird problems taking it out would cause.
TerrenceLP
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel 4WD

Post by TerrenceLP »

I'm new but have had many Toyotas, egr on American versions is total crap. It's effectively removing combustion chamber space with gasses that can't combust. I ran my 4a with straight through exhaust, and one vac line for timing, ran better than new. So think about this way, these 30 year old systems are not worth it unless you have a state that makes you get inspected, in NC I have no worries, this is NASCAR country.