Highest RPM achieved?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Highest RPM achieved?

Post by BaileySims »

What the highest anyone here has gotten their terc up to? I feel like 4k is pushing the limits by just the way it sounds. I got it to 4.5k a few days ago and I was scared I was going to blow the engine. Is the engine capable of going to 8k without blowing up?
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: Highest RPM achieved?

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

I usually shift at 4k also, I've went to 4.5k a couple times, I don't like the way it sounds either. When I had the silver wagon it would rev to 5k without sounding too bad. I don't know about any higher than that though hahaha.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Bailey,

I also typically shift at 4K, though it's not uncommon to run it to 4.5k in 1st and 2nd. I would guess I've put a few miles on running 70-80 mph on the Interstate, turning 3.6k-3.8k. Maybe there is enough road noise I can't hear well, but the engine seems pretty happy/smooth to me, even at 4k. Redline is obviously 6k, which I have not gotten to, but I have no doubts it would zip up there without difficulty, I just wouldn't want to stay there or above for more than a few seconds. I compare the 1.5L to a sewing machine when trying to describe it, high rpm and smooth, but not a LOT of power :)!

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

The bottom end is good for 8000 since it's the smaller and lighter A series. That being said, the head won't flow much past 5 with the stock intake, but I had my old throttle body setup on the north side of 6k a few times. You run into valve float issues with that kind of rpm though. I've had the 5AFE up there as well for tuning purposes, but generally keep it under 5k for normal driving (my driving style would be described as aggressive by many people).
I know Petros has had his north of 7k in the snow.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

With our old auto T4, we did 85 a few times and that was pushing 5.5K RPM if I recall.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

I'm about to install a tacho in my DLX T4. Waiting for some other parts to arrive The above is very useful to know. Thanks.
I normally shift at 20, 40, 60 & 80km/h (12.5, 25, 37.5 & 50m/hr).
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Peak power comes in at 4,800 rpm with either 3A/4A. I will rev it up to 5500 rpm if necessary to keep me in the powerband when for when I upshift into the next gear. The Delta 260 cam made the engine a bit peppier in the higher rpm range so I found myself winding the engine out more, but I've since then switched to the 4A-C with stock cam. Most of the time you will only be able to wind it out past 5000 rpm in 1st and 2nd gear since it will take a long time to wind out in 3rd gear at hwy speeds.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Very useful information here. I might consider getting a 4a head soon. I forgot that one of my cam caps is pretty much jb welded into place and I have not checked on it lately. The exhaust port was also mangled when I had bought the car and is covered in jb weld too. I'm am quite surprised that it has held up for the last 5k miles though.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
timothygodden
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 tercel 4wd sr5 lifted, modified head, delta cam, 2" exhaust

Post by timothygodden »

I would rev my old 3a to 6k no problem but I had head work and a delta cam. Synthdesign's old 3a would do 8k it had oversized valves, cam, overbore, port polish, and was balanced
Ace
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '83 DLX 4WD Tercel wagon 3AC

Post by Ace »

I think I've briefly had mine up to 5K on rare occasions, years ago. I don't like to push it. It doesn't help to lug it either. I drive pretty conservative and my Tercel is doing well for being 33 years old although it only has 137K miles on it.