Great to come back here.

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
judohawk
My tercel:: 83 4wd SR5

Great to come back here.

Post by judohawk »

Hi guys I used to have an 83 a few years ago and now I've got the potential to buy an 86 for 2 grand. This one is extremely clean too. Owned by an older gent, he takes care of it. You guys think it's worth 2? I'm not sure what they're going for anymore. My 83 was rough and I paid 400 for it lol.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Re: Great to come back here.

Post by marlinh »

Do you have any pictures to share with us? Welcome back to the fold.
judohawk
My tercel:: 83 4wd SR5

Post by judohawk »

Nope, but if it comes to buying it I'll get some. By chance he came into my wife's store and threw out the number when she was like OMG my husband used to have one, he loved it. She said he didn't seem too keen on parting with it, maybe that explains the 2k number. He might think that's high for it. I've seen it around town and got a good look at it in a parking lot. It's in really great shape.

I'll try to get pics. I've been hunting for a tercel wagon ever since I got rid of mine. I never thought I could love a car so much.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

good news! welcome back.

these funky little '80's econoboxes have a way of winding around your emotions in ways I would have never thought possible.

$2k is an excellent price if it is a good daily driver with no serious body or mechanical issues. Depending on options, and a few other issues. Particularly critical are the condition of the transmission, and if the body has any rust. If body and trans are sound, and nothing else is too far gone, it would be a good price. find out when the clutch was changed last, replacing the clutch (and rear seal) can be done for about $100, but it is big job.

I do not particularly care for doing body work or paint, so even if it needed lots of mechanical work, if the body and interior were in great shape, it makes it even more valuable in my mind. Though would I hate to pay that much for a 30 year old car and find out it needs a clutch, brakes, and wheel bearings. Each one is not so bad, but all at once means a lot of weekend time spent fixing it. so check it out carefully, and if it had been maintained, it is likely a decent price.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)