First issue

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Re: First issue

Post by Mark »

And yes, like Petros says, use some kind of extension/breaker bar. I use a 3-foot length of pipe on the end of my breaker bar.
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

I've used rer233 method as well. Another thought, can you remove the starter motor and jam the flywheel whilst turning the crank shaft bolt anti clockwise with a breaker bar?
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you can avoid bent valves by making sure the piston is on the compression stroke so both valves will be closed.

A commercial pneumatic impact wrench with a really big and powerful compressor will take it off of course, but most of us do not have that available at home. So the next best thing is to block the piston with the soft cord in the combustion chamber and put a really big breaker bar on the front bolt.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

My impact wrench is a Kobalt from Lowes, currently $140, but $126 with my veteran's discount.
8-amp, 350 ft-lbs max.
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-8-Amp-1- ... ch/3307992

I tightened the bolt with the torque wrench to the specified 87 ft-lbs by putting the car in 5th gear and pulling up the e-brake. Grunting helped...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

ARCHINSTL wrote:My impact wrench is a Kobalt from Lowes, currently $140,... Grunting helped...Tom M.
Nice, but breaker bar with pipe extension is about $20 or less, more useful too for other things. no extension cord required, you can use it at pick-n-pull, or by the side of the road if necessary. with a long enough extension pipe, no grunting required either :)
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Alrighty,

Going pretty well, the crank gear actually slid off by hand when I was trying to picture the needed puller :). Parts look good, still need to pull/replace seals. The biggest challenge is the darn PS pivot bolt, no love and buggered up (by me). 14mm spun, 13mm still to small and no good tweener in std to try and drive on.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Petros wrote:
ARCHINSTL wrote:My impact wrench is a Kobalt from Lowes, currently $140, but $126 with my veteran's discount.
Nice, but breaker bar with pipe extension is about $20 or less, more useful too for other things. no extension cord required, you can use it at pick-n-pull, or by the side of the road if necessary. with a long enough extension pipe, no grunting required either :)
OK - I wasted my money... :cry:
I am dumb. :(

Along with the nearly 40# of tools always present in the car is my 1958 Craftsman 18" breaker bar, plus a 16" extension tube.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

NWMO wrote:The biggest challenge is the darn PS pivot bolt, no love and buggered up (by me). 14mm spun, 13mm still to small and no good tweener in std to try and drive on.Chris
Well, there is always this (or similar) - I have NO experience with these tools, however:
http://www.sears.com/irwin-bolt-grip-5- ... lsrc=aw.ds
Tom
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey Tom,

In the past I have used a small drill bit and wood screws to grab the seals, how do you go about it. I will try Advanced Auto to see if the have that tool for rent, worth a shot. I will probably try to clean things up and put some heat on it. Unfortunately, the best I have here is some MAP gas, but I can grab the B tank from work if needed. I just don't want to start any darn fires, plenty of old oil/grease down there.

Chris

PS - I will read the FSM, but do I need to remove the cam bearing cap to replace that seal? Or can I pull and replace sim to crank seal?
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

NWMO wrote:Hey Tom, In the past I have used a small drill bit and wood screws to grab the seals, how do you go about it.
See this that I made last week: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10455&p=94059#p94059

See xirdneh's video on replacing the cam seal - It is just removing the cam pulley and popping the seal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS3bAwwR43w

Yes - I've not gotten around to my promised timing belt saga ...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Well,

Not successful on pivot bolt removal, however, the PS pump is pivoting nicely again, so it wasn't a failure either. My nature would typically be to fight to the bitter end, but on this one I think I will put off success until needed. The pivot bolt is seized to the PS body, but is pivoting in the mount. I am going to leave it for now and tackle when replacing the PS pump. At that time I can likely cut into the PS pump body to get it off and then replace the whole thing. Hope to drain the block tomorrow and try the paint can opener for pulling seals.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I have gotten the crankshaft pulley bolt off with 5th gear and standing on the brakes, and a breaker bar.

Also have an nice electric impact that worked on a 3VZ-FE crankshaft pulley bolt that is torqued to some 185 foot pounds from the factory! Impact is definitely the way to go if you can get it in there.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

The crankshaft pulley bolt on my 1KZ-te turbo diesel is torqued to 360 ft-lbs. the Milwaukee electric impact wrench I have removed it as if it had been hand tightened by a two year old. That thing is a beast!
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

Paint can opener tool worked great, I used a piece of a milk jug to protect the shafts. Crank seal slid right on, cam seal fought me a little as it got catiwompass, so I loosened the cam bearing cap some and it straightened right up.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

Leaving on a mission trip early Friday. I will wrap this up shortly after I return :)

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain