First issue

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: First issue

Post by Petros »

a powerful impact wrench is very nice to have, no doubt about it. But I have rarely found it necessary on the Tercel.

I can not imagine why anyone would need 360 ft lbs on the pulley bolt! it has almost no load on it, it just holds the pulley on the key. Perhaps a diesel tends to rattle them loose? we once had a buick (the GM V-6) that used a torque to yield 180 ft lb pulley bolt, nearly impossible to get at (tranvers engine instl). why they need that much to hold on a sheet metal pulley is a mystery, it has to come off to replace the POS sensor they hide behind it.

I just as soon stay with the Japanese cars that rarely require 80 to 90 ft-lb on the front pulley (none of mine did anyway, from Nissan to Mazda, 4 cyl and v-6 engines).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Petros wrote: I just as soon stay with the Japanese cars that rarely require 80 to 90 ft-lb on the front pulley (none of mine did anyway, from Nissan to Mazda, 4 cyl and v-6 engines).

My 92 Camry V6 3VZ needs 180 pounds on the crank pulley bolt.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

well, I will be staying away from those too!

why on earth would it need that much torque to hold a pulley on the end of a crank?
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I don't know, the block was used first in toyota pickup trucks as the 3VZ-E (or something) so perhaps that is related.

It was a bear to get off. The first bolt had to be cut off (more or less) and the second bolt on the parts engine I bought an electric impact from sears (open box clearance) that did 300 foot pounds and got it off after 12 seconds.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Post by Ridlbox »

When I did the timing belt on mine I actually had to use a polar to get that pulley off the bottom of the crankshaft rust had set for who knows how many years and it was stuck
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Finally,

A month later, but the Rusty Frog is back on the road :) Took it for a 15 mile test tonight and all seems good. Will drive tomorrow night after checking fluids, looking for leaks and then put back into daily service :) Oodles of pics to follow when I find time.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

Found one leak on a heater core hose connection that went away when improved. 100+ miles today, all seems good.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
timothygodden
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 tercel 4wd sr5 lifted, modified head, delta cam, 2" exhaust

Post by timothygodden »

irowiki wrote:
Petros wrote: I just as soon stay with the Japanese cars that rarely require 80 to 90 ft-lb on the front pulley (none of mine did anyway, from Nissan to Mazda, 4 cyl and v-6 engines).

My 92 Camry V6 3VZ needs 180 pounds on the crank pulley bolt.
Helped a friend with a reverse spinning Honda engine (Japanese made), crank still tightens clockwise, 650ftlbs to keep the engine harmonics from spitting out the bolt.
simon84
Top Notch Member

Post by simon84 »

Hey, just reviving this thread.

I'm into a timing belt, camshaft seal, crankshaft seal replacement. I got the crankshaft pulley of with a puller as it was a bit rusty. Now I can't get the crankshaft gear off. It seems to be rusty also. I put a little liquid wrench on it and have left it for now. Is there a puller that will work? I have one but it won't quite fit in behind it.

Thanks for any tips on this...
Driver: 87 Tercel SR5, white, 4ac, weber carb (aka the Tercedes)
Road Tripper:95 Mitsubishi Delica L400 2.8L Turbo Diesel
Motorbike: 94 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
Project Car:Red 68 Plymouth Sport Fury III
Previous Tercel:Orange 84 Tercel 4wd (aka the pumpkin)
simon84
Top Notch Member

Post by simon84 »

I just watched xirdneh's video and I see that he made a special tool to pull the crankshaft gear. I already have a gear/steering wheel puller that I used to get the crankshaft pulley off with. I can probably make something to slip in behind the gear and pull it off.
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

Simon, I know this sounds stupid, but don't be tempted to wedge the pulley out using a big screw driver or chisel. The pulley is made from casting material and the back flange is easily broken. This happened to me once and I had a lot of trouble finding a replacement pulley. Also the thin aluminium housing behind the pulley houses the oil pump. If you crack the housing, oil will seep out. When you do get the pulley off, drill and tap two M6 or 1/4" holes on its front face. Make yourself a pulley from a piece of flat bar with a tapped hole in the middle. Next time you want to pull the pulley off, screw the flat bar to the 2 holes in the pulley. Insert a screw in the flat bar and tighten it against the end of the crank shaft. Cover the screw hole in the crank shaft with a piece of thin metal to press against.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
simon84
Top Notch Member

Post by simon84 »

Yeah, thanks for that.
I did try a little prying but I could tell that the casting behind would not stand up to much so I did not apply much force. Based on how much force was required to pull the pulley wheel off, it is going to need a good pull. I will have to make something like xirdneh did.
Not a bad idea to drill and tap the holes for next time.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

@ simon84 -
Did you see the tools I made (a variation of xirdneh's) in a recent post?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12567&p=97224#p97224
I used a lot of Kroil before pulling.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

ATF makes the best penetrating oil, soak it in AFT, apply some heat to the gear (to the gear only) to make it expand slightly, than pound on it in all directions with a soft hammer to break it loose. I have always been able to get them off that way, even when rusted in place. You may want to gently pry behind it with a flat tool, it should move once it is broken free with a soft hammer. Though as noted be very careful, it is a thin cast aluminum oil pump housing you are prying against. I saw another forum member who had cracked the housing when he replaced the front seal, leaked like crazy, he thought he messed up the seal, took it all apart to find the oil pump housing with a small crack in it, right where a screw driver would push on it when you lever on the gear.

A special puller is a good way to go, but I have not yet found I needed one (I have done this perhaps 20 times on different Tercels).

Good luck.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Petros wrote:...apply some heat to the gear (to the gear only) to make it expand slightly, than pound on it in all directions with a soft hammer to break it loose. I have always been able to get them off that way, even when rusted in place. You may want to gently pry behind it with a flat tool, it should move once it is broken free with a soft hammer.
Tried that - did not work.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain