One month update

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: One month update

Post by NWMO »

larry mcgrath wrote:Looks like your in the process of rebuilding a 51--52 Chevy --- I'm in the process of doing a frame off rebuild of my 49 chevy 2dr bussines coupe--- 4 link suspention coil over shocks Camerro sub frame-- all new floor boards--- and hopefully a LT 1 with a4l60 auto ==hope to have it done by next summer. This was my dads car that became mine when he passed when I was 12 yr old -- was the fastest car in high school, lots of great memories in this car. Your car looks great, keep us posted Larry
Thanks Larry,

I am really enjoying the Tercel and look forward to "improving" it. My younger son has his eye on an old Ford Maverick, my lovely wife wants to look at a 50' Ford truck this weekend and here is my real project (someday).

Nothing fancy like you, just want to get it comfortably driveable w/ a 3.55 rear from a powerglide and dual exhaust on the 58' 235 motor. Ton of work to be done, but it's somewhere behind the back burner :)! Saved it from a treeline a few years back (literally had to cut trees that had grown through the bumper and around the car).
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

I love my tercel since I swaped in the b/t it realy is fun to drive ------ likes 85 mph -- fun
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

When I was eleven years old I threw up in the back seat of one of those, the driver, my Sunday school teacher, lit up a cigar and I made him pay for that.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

xirdneh wrote:When I was eleven years old I threw up in the back seat of one of those, the driver, my Sunday school teacher, lit up a cigar and I made him pay for that.
ha. short but excellent story.
timothygodden
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 tercel 4wd sr5 lifted, modified head, delta cam, 2" exhaust

Post by timothygodden »

Jonymoto wrote:Thanks for the valuable info guys. what size is your spare wheel? Is it still 13" to fit in the tyre well?
I still have the original spare, I want a full size but I have had some trouble finding a mr2 triangle as a spare they are getting rare and expensive. A 195/70/14 will fit in the spare compartment if you use a rubber mallet.
V__F5AD.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

timothygodden wrote:
Jonymoto wrote:Thanks for the valuable info guys. what size is your spare wheel? Is it still 13" to fit in the tyre well?
I still have the original spare, I want a full size but I have had some trouble finding a mr2 triangle as a spare they are getting rare and expensive. A 195/70/14 will fit in the spare compartment if you use a rubber mallet.
V__F5AD.jpg
The only time I can see a full size spare being a real benefit, is when you need to change a tire AND need 4WD. I can see off roaders wanting that, but with typical use, a 13" spare should serve fine. As for a 14" spare, why not just find a steelie for the spare vs. the triangle wheel?

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
timothygodden
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 tercel 4wd sr5 lifted, modified head, delta cam, 2" exhaust

Post by timothygodden »

NWMO wrote:
The only time I can see a full size spare being a real benefit, is when you need to change a tire AND need 4WD. I can see off roaders wanting that, but with typical use, a 13" spare should serve fine. As for a 14" spare, why not just find a steelie for the spare vs. the triangle wheel?

Chris
I eventually will build a tire rack off the rear bumper for it and i want them to all match, plus if I lose a tire while 4x4.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you can always let the air out of the spare to make it fit in the spare wheel well ;-)

actually if you choose a tire with approx the same rolling dia on the 14" wheels, as with the stock tire size on the 13" wheels, it should fit in the spare well fine. or you can use the stock steel wheel as the spare and it will still have the same rolling dia to get you home.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)