Much needed maintenance

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Mason
My tercel:: 85 SR5 4WD Wagon

Much needed maintenance

Post by Mason »

Spent three hours in the yard this morning doing some way overdue repairs. A pile of empty boxes and old parts is always fun.
image.jpg
Rear shocks were original (!) and the front struts were totally void of oil, unless you count what was in the assembly... The brakes weren't worn but glazed from sitting for so long and getting rusty and then hot. Some new front pads, rotors and rubber lines with some fresh brake fluid will hopefully make it a nicer ride. I'll get an alignment next week if I can get it in the shop, the wheel is off and the steering is a bit 'darty'. Hopefully I'll enjoy driving it more after all this. I really like the look of it and the 4wd is a nice option. It's super easy to work on, and the power isn't really all that bad. There's just something about it, besides the radio placement, that I dot care for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Much needed maintenance

Post by Petros »

good for you! if you ever have to replace the caliper you should consider doing the brake up grade I have over in the repair guides section. the larger brake parts cost about the same and gives you much better braking, and lower risk of overheating and warping the rotors.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i thought you were going to sell the car, mason. have you decided to hang on to it for now?
Mason
My tercel:: 85 SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by Mason »

Still up in the air. It needed some work and so I wanted to fix it to give it a fair shake. I like tinkering, it's worth more all fixed up and I'm not in a hurry...I like everything about it, i just don't like driving it enough to use it very often. Maybe now that it's no so bouncy it'll be fun. If not, I'll look into selling it. The market for them isn't as good up here like it is in the PNW either.