Heat and light - lots of both

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Mason
My tercel:: 85 SR5 4WD Wagon

Heat and light - lots of both

Post by Mason »

image.jpg
Did a little work on the car this week. The heater was balmy at best and the first time I drove it (after installing a repaired transmission) it was negative 20's and less than pleasant. So, I took all the heater ducts under the dash apart and blew everything out, took the valance off and cleaned under the hood - lots of rocks and leaves from years of sitting before I got it. Still no heat so I flushed the system with a pretty spiffy and simple tool a friend has. So much heat now, it's perfect for the days we have now, windows down and the heat on. It warms up and cools off fast up here this time of year. Overnight in the 20's and 30's and the last couple days have been in the 60's which brings Mosquitos and even though there's still snow and ice, wildfires are an issue already. I also replaced a broken marker light and did a little shade tree plastic welding on the broken bezel. Washed it and promptly drove through several mud holes...

Picture is at 10pm, sunset had just started. Love this time of year. Three months ago the sun was above the horizon for about four hours... Can't see in the phone picture, but Denali is right there, 100 air miles away and 20,320' above sea level. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Heat and light - lots of both

Post by dlb »

what was the cooling system flush tool you used? i bought one from the US a year or two ago, basically a water hammer that you connect to tap water and compressed air. it did a great job on the last tercel i had, which would only put out tepid air, at best.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Oh yes, I would like to know what you used as well. Include a picture if you can.
Mason
My tercel:: 85 SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by Mason »

It uses water and air. Back flush first and then alternated a couple of times. Only got wet once.
image.jpg
It creates a 'water hammer' sort of action... Using an air chuck you just hit it with air now and again to give all that crap in there a little jolt and shake it free. Need to make a couple of them, one larger so I can do the engine block too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.