Valve cover removal

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Valve cover removal

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

Just wanted to post some pics after removing the valve cover. I feel like I can see one spot in the front and one in the rear where it was leaking. The rear nut was barely finger tight. Also included a pic of my air intake hose repair where the flexible portion had rotted away.

I'm hoping to check/adjust valves and renew the gasket. The rubber seals around the studs were so solid/brittle, I had to unscrew them.

Should all of this oil be on top of the head? It looks correct to me, but I wondered if some drain holes may be clogged?

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Valve cover removal

Post by dlb »

yep, it's normal and necessary for that oil to be up around the valve train. every moving part needs lube.

i've found valve cover gaskets (both the donuts for the nuts and the part that actually goes between the cover and head) tend to shrink over time and the nuts need to be snugged up a bit every now and then. not sure how common that is, if others have noticed it too, but that's been my experience.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

YEah there aren't enough drain holes for all the oil, so a lot of it sits up there after you turn the car off. Then it makes a mess if you have to take the head off...
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Post by Ridlbox »

After redoing my head gasket about two years ago I redid the valve cover gasket and noticed that it always loosens back up tends to be a normal thing with these cars
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)