advise on parts cars please

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
rabalc
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 4WD

advise on parts cars please

Post by rabalc »

found this on craigs list an hour drive away, can get every thing for 950, both cars said to ran when parked, extra set of doors,1 extra engine, and boxes full of misc. 1 is 83, 1 is 86. I reaaly don't need this many parts to fix mine, but maybe some of you would need some, I would pick them up if there would be interest on parts so I would not have to eat it all http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/c ... 69956.html
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: advise on parts cars please

Post by Petros »

still sounds kind of high to two unknown and undrivable cars that are at various stages of dismantle. I would bet you would be missing some parts to get it running likely at least one or both have serious mechanical issues (which is why it is not a daily driver).

I have bought more than a few non-running tercels (none were more than about $300), and once fixed and able to get it on the road I discovered a large number of other problems that had to be fixed. You could not tell it had these problems without driving it, or a comlpete dismantling of the car. One example I bought a running car with a blown rear diff (someone put the wrong ratio front diff in it), so it was not drivable, for $150. The body was in great shape, but the inside was full of filthy mold (some left the window open while it was parked for several years in the PNW raining part of the world). I replaced the rear diff, and than found out the front diff was a different ratio, so I had to do it again (fortunately I was able to get the matching ratio rear locally, where I found a complete new interior too-I got lucky). So now I was able to drive it, discovers two of the 4 wheel bearings were shot (one rather badly disintegrated), all of the brakes were bad (supposedly had new brakes) I replace calipers, wheel cylinders and master. battery bad of course, engine ran like crap, found 9 vacuum leaks, and misrouted vac lines, replaced both tie rod ends and ball joints, tires were all shot of course. One window regulator had to be replaced (the reason the window was open for several winters). So, many hours and many parts later, I had a derivable used TErcel with lots of miles on it. This I have found is typical of buying non-running cars, the owners remember them as good drivers with "only" one thing wrong...but that is seldom the truth on a car this old.

If one was in fair shape and test drivable, with a parts car, it might be worth that. As it sits at best it might be worth $500-600. Even if you can sell the extra parts (do not count on it happening fast, you will have to store them for a while), the time and effort it takes to get them and dismantle the car, and store them, will far out weight their value. You do not even know if any of the engines are in good condition. At best a bad engine is worth about $100 as trade in core engine, or perhaps $30 in scrap.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
rabalc
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 4WD

Post by rabalc »

Thanks for the imput Petros, I kinda felt the same, seemed a little much for two unknowns, but my thought was possibly two transmisions, the front end parts I am having a real hard time finding, there close, if I could sell one tranny the other parts may be worth the price, and who knows, maybe make a driver??
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I would offer them $500
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

ditto on offering $500 for everything. i think that asking price is nuts.
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Me personally, if I had the cash I would go ahead and do it, but I'm in a region where these cars a few and far between. I've been on the pull-a-parts waiting list for almost a year now without one of these treasures popping up on the yard....If you got them I would be very interested in getting in touch with you about some parts!
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

$450 and a pack of beer.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

if one was drive able, even if it needs work, that would be a decent price. you might have two bad trannys too. all the engines might not be usable except as cores either, I would guess at least one engine may not even be rebuild-able, too much internal damage.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Is there a meth lab in that barn/garage? He's clearly on something.

The one close to running looks crusty. Who knows what damage has occurred from sitting. My last free parts car ran when parked. Only one cylinder had compression though.

Factor transportation costs also, especially if you have to utilize a wrecker.

$1500? Some of us are sitting on a goldmine. :roll: