84' SR5

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

84' SR5

Post by NWMO »

Hey All,

A fellow (not me, yet) installed a rebuilt head on a Tercel only to sheer a fuel pump bolt. He tried to drill it out and it sounds like he drilled some type of hole "along side" the bolt which still hasn't been removed. He figures it will need a new head, but I wanted to hear from folks here. I assume the head is aluminum and the bolt steel, so it would make since for the drill to slide off if not careful. Is there a chance it could be salvaged? what might have been damaged? Repair options: helicoil? JB Weld? some great epoxy?

Without tilt or cruise, I'd have to see how much I liked it on the highway ( I don't mind driving a little slower, would be good for me). Currently 35 miles one way to work five days a week, but there is a possibility I may let my son (just turning 16) drive it starting next summer and I could keep driving my 7th gen Corolla that is turning 300,000 miles on the way home tonight :D Without the fuel pump it's a non-runner, so I am assuming something in the $500-$600 range is fair? Everything else is reported to work well and head had just been gone through by a shop and installed with a new head-gasket. Interior is fantastic, body is straight, but rough, quite a little rust over the fenders.

Any help appreciated.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: 84' SR5

Post by irowiki »

Oh, you don't have to drive slower on the highway. My 83 SR5 is completely comfortable doing 70-80. Of course the fuel economy drops like a rock for every MPH above 70 :lol:
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it can be repaired most likely, perhaps without even removing the head. I do not know how you would shear off the fuel pump bolts, they are only 12mm and should only need about 16 ft-lbs or so. If he used too long of a bolt and it bottomed, and kept turing it, that might be a problem (lots of friction on the bolt shank). Usually the if it was just over tightened, there is very little pressure on the threads without a head (unless it is bottomed out with too long a bolt). I have removed lots of broken bolts, sounds like he may have tried to drill out the bolt, and the drill slipped off the steel bolt and went into the softer aluminum.

This is what I would try: clean up the metal chips, spray ATF or penetrating oil on the broken bolt, parhps heat the head with a heat gun or torch. and use a tiny center punch to try and back out the broken bolt, tapping on the broken end with the punch in such a way, off center, so it will back out. This usually works if done carefully, and enough force on the punch. you an also drill a small hole down the center of the bolt (if pssible, centered as best you can), and than step up to the next size drill. and try an "EZ-out" tool to back it out. this also usually works if you can get a hole in the end of the bolt. If not, step up the drill size until it can be backed out. If you have to cut the threads, the easy fix is than to put a thread incert into the hole.

If the hole along side the origial bolt hole messes up the the threads, than putting a thread insert should be done anyway. There are lots of good Youtube videos showing you how to do this, and install a thread insert "Heli-coil" brand is most common.

If it is not badly jammed into the bottom of the hole, the repair can be done in about an hour once you have all the proper tools and a thread insert available and on-hand. Use ATF for cutting fluid when drilling any hole in metal. clean it out well and I like useing lock-tight on the heli-coil so it does not back out when you go to remove the bolt later.

That is not a bad price if the rest of the car is in working condition. the big problem is that you can not test drive it when it is not running. You might find out it needs CV axles, ball joints, wheel bearings, clutch, u-joints, etc. etc until after you get it running and drive it. some of these you can inspect (and you should), but most of it will only become clear after it is driven. You might rig a gallon can to gravity feed fuel to the carb and see if it will run.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks fellas,

The $500-$600 is what I figure it may be worth. He's listed it for $1,000 but indicated there is some play, I can't see going over $600 if everything else looks pretty good. However, they aren't easy to find here in the Midwest, but I've seen a few come across CL. I'll let you know how it works out.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

A pic of the head before installation.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

Here is a pic of the Terc.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Something I did when I broke an oil pump bolt is use a tap smaller than the bolt to get it out. First I put a center punch in the center of the bolt to keep the drill bit in place and then used a pretty small bit to drill just a little bit into the bolt, then I put force on the tap while trying to loosen it and it came out just fine and pretty easily. I don't it may help out a little bit, I didn't have any of the proper tools to extract the bolt so I just used what I had on hand haha. I was also a little drunk so and was at the point where I was trying anything haha. But for $500-$600 that would be a steal no matter what the condition from where I'm from(2wd versions in bad shape cost as much as $2000 here in Alabama). Good luck!
lucafusi
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD SR5

Post by lucafusi »

irowiki wrote:Oh, you don't have to drive slower on the highway. My 83 SR5 is completely comfortable doing 70-80. Of course the fuel economy drops like a rock for every MPH above 70 :lol:
As an 84SR5er that can't easily get north of 65 without a tailwind, I feel I need to continue tuning up!
1984 Tercel 4x4 SR5
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Well you have to be in 4th for a bit too.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k