Installing trailer hitch

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Installing trailer hitch

Post by irowiki »

Yeah, anything not on the brakes, turn signals or reverse lights would be wired to the tail light wire. Hopefully the fuse is big enough? I wonder if you'd need a relay.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

I've been looking at every trailer I've seen drive by today and I looked at a couple of new ones in a dealership and not one of them had front lights or a licence plate light as apparently required by law. None of the trailer lighting kits I've seen have them either. I'm starting to think I've been had by the internet.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mark »

I bought a few more lights and reflectors anyway. My trailer will be the most lit-up, legal trailer in town. At least it would be if I didn't intend to just tow it during the day.
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

the under side of the light has a clear cut out in it were you mount the licence plate
to it,
Mark
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mark »

jimcrazy wrote:the under side of the light has a clear cut out in it were you mount the licence plate
to it,
Now I feel dumb. One of my tail lights that came with the trailer has a clear/frosted area on it. I had no idea what it was and I mounted it pointing up. Thanks for the info.
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Post by Ridlbox »

If you look on most trailers there are orange or amber lights in the front all they are our marker lights to let you know that the trailer is there sometimes they can be used as blinkers
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
Mark
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mark »

I installed the lights and licence plate (I still have to wire up the lights) and added some "bunks" (the boards for the boat pontoons to sit on). I still have to find some slippery carpet for the bunks and find some rollers to make it easier to slide the boat up.
IMG_0441.JPG
IMG_0442.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mark »

The pretty-much finished trailer:
IMG_0452.JPG
IMG_0459.JPG
I'm taking the boat out tomorrow for a dive so I'll see how it goes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

*claps*
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Awesome. Great job on the trailer!
Mark
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mark »

I took the boat out on the water today. The trailer is definitely not as easy to use as just shoving the boat up on the roof rack, but my idea was to save the wear and tear on the wagon. I've discovered that backing the trailer up in a straight line is almost impossible. The trailer wheels are too close to the car. When it came time to load the boat back up on to the trailer I ended up disconnecting the trailer from the car, walking the trailer down the boat ramp near the boat and then backed the car down and hooked the trailer back up. It also bounced more than I expected while driving. I'm pretty sure the trailer got air at times. I kept looking in my rear view mirror to see if the outboard had broken off yet.
IMG_1594.JPG
IMG_1597.JPG
IMG_0490.JPG
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I have no suggestions about the "bouncing" problem (trailer too light, even with load?), but I would venture that the difficulty with backing up in a straight line would disappear with practice.
Back in the Army in the early/mid/late '60s, my M38 Jeep (and later M38A1) was occasionally hitched to a A105 small trailer. The Jeeps, so course, had a small wheelbase and the trailer was "close behind" the vehicle. It took me a while, but I eventually got proficient with it (as long as it did not have the high canvas top installed!).

Props on your revival of the trailer!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Post by Jarf »

Mark - Most small trailers have "1000lbs" springs and will bounce like crazy with a light load, not much you can do other than add weight to the trailer.
Installing a set of shocks would certainly help somewhat, at least with the oscillations that occur post bump.

Odd about the lights, never seen fed reg's before, I have only ever looked at provincial regs, generally speaking (Ont at least) all that extra stuff is only for trailers over 80in wide/30ft long.

Finished product looks great
Paultercel
My tercel:: 1986 wagon looking to do some upgrades!

Post by Paultercel »

Where would anyone recommend getting the tongue for a trailer hitch?!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you might run the trailer tires on the soft side, not too low, but low enough where they will provide some damping and not so much bounce.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)