FREE Mint 85 SR5 w/ 100k Miles! maybe ... with a catch

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
BrownBadger
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD Tercel SR5 - The Brown Badger

FREE Mint 85 SR5 w/ 100k Miles! maybe ... with a catch

Post by BrownBadger »

I'll try to make a long story short. About 5 years ago I bought an immaculate Tan 85 SR5 with 104k miles, shipped it from CA to Sacramento, only to discover the motor was toast and the newly installed transmission was an 83-84 unit. I dove right in, pulled the motor and trans, sourced a correct trans, picked up a 4AC, had it rebuilt - heads ported and polished, delta cam regrind, fully balanced, the works. I spent about another $2000 on parts rebuilding the front end, all new shocks, tie rods, brake upgrade, axels, etc. Pretty much anything that could be replaced was .... and then I stalled and it has been sitting. I was probably about a weekend away from having it running, but that just never happened.

In the interim, I picked up another beautiful Silver 85 that I've been driving off and on for about 3 years. It has higher miles, but I've grown fond of it and would rather keep it ... or both, not sure.

I also randomly have a Tan 85 auto ... bit of a project, but runs.

What I don't have is the time, energy, or motivation to deal with all 3 and do what I really want to with them. Figured I would put out a wild proposition to some of the experts on the forums and see if anyone was interested in making a trade deal.

A few potential scenarios, all would need to be negotiated I suppose:

1. Someone completes reassembly on the low mileage Tan T4WD and receives the Tan 85 auto T4WD plus some agreed upon amount of cash to get the job done. No real rush, do it in your spare time.

2. Someone pulls the running motor from my silver 85 and completes installation of the 4AC, in return they can have the running motor and the Tan auto 85 ... maybe even the nice tan 85 that needs a motor (although I have about $5k in the car and new parts), so maybe some cash on top of the work to get that car. It is truly near-perfect though, just needs a motor - which you would get in this deal.

3. You tell me. In the end, all that I really HAVE to keep are the silver 85 and the 4AC. Everything else I am willing to part with if need be. I know I'm going to lose my shirt on this, but its all sunk costs at this point, and I would rather have some more space in my yard and a solid car to continue driving.

I have auto transport contacts, so anything west coast wouldn't really be an issue.

Pictures of the super clean silver and tan cars are attached. The auto is a bit of a pile, although not rusty, you can use your imagination on that. It's also for sale separately for $800 if anyone just has an ache for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: FREE Mint 85 SR5 w/ 100k Miles! maybe ... with a catch

Post by Petros »

where are all these cars located? where would you expect any of the repairs to take place?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
BrownBadger
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD Tercel SR5 - The Brown Badger

Post by BrownBadger »

The cars are in Sacramento. Depending on what deal comes together repairs could be made here, or cars could be delivered to you and done there. I have a big garage with space to work, an engine hoist, all the tools you could need. I'm just kind of burnt out on mechanic work right now. I'm really not in a huge rush, just finally decided to do something about them. I'm pretty flexible really.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I will be going to southern CA in December, not sure if driving or flying yet. if you can not find a taker by than, perhaps I can work out a way to get from the LA area to you, and spend a few days getting one of the manual trans SR5 ones running so I can drive it home.

Although the auto trans one has a few fans, they just are not popular enough to take, even a good daily driver. I was given one once in good condition with just a few minor repairs. I could not find a buyer at any price, while the manual trans ones I get sell within a day for a good price.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)