4WD shifter / shaft seal size (& also driveshaft seal size)

This is a forum JUST for posting part numbers.
c_j
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: T4WD#4: '86 SR5 6-speed, original Barto lift & steel bumpers & winch, also 95Amp alternator

4WD shifter / shaft seal size (& also driveshaft seal size)

Post by c_j »

4wd_shift_shaft_seal.JPG
shaft diameter: 15.87mm
housing bore: 24mm (approx*)
seal width: 6mm
depth of bore: 7.4mm

Either of these industrial seal sizes should work:
16.00 X 24.00 X 4.00 Shaft SEAL - NBR/STEEL
16.00 X 24.00 X 7.00 Shaft SEAL - NBR/STEEL

For me, the narrow ones are readily available and the wider ones would have to be backordered. I can get them for $4.71 each plus $7.50 shipping cost (per shipment). Check your local supplier.

*note: the housing is bored a bit larger for a little ways in, probably for ease of installation. So if you get a really narrow seal, it should be driven in deeper than "flush to the outside"

You can thank dlb for the info.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by c_j on Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: 4WD shifter / shaft seal size

Post by dlb »

no no no, you can thank dlb for standing around, watching, and offering moral support while c_j showed just how easy it is to replace the 4wd shifter seal.

it was actually quite different than what i had pictured from larry's description. c_j just broke the nut free with a 12 mm (i think) wrench, unthreaded it to the end of the pinch bolt, and then tapped nut with a hammer. the bolt budged, c_j removed the nut, and tapped the bolt out the rest of the way. the 4wd shifter arm slid off, the washer slid off, and there was the leaky seal. c_j used a hammer and punch to make a small hole in the seal and then drove a drywall screw in the hole to pull the seal out.

if i wind up doing this on my project car, i'll take pics of the steps.
c_j
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: T4WD#4: '86 SR5 6-speed, original Barto lift & steel bumpers & winch, also 95Amp alternator

Post by c_j »

I have just ordered 10 of these seals for delivery this week:
16mm I.D. X 24mm O.D. X 7mm Wide
in this design type (the grey areas are rubber and the hatched area is steel):
rubber_outer_double_lip_seal.jpg
These are a different design than the original seal, but they should be superior because of the double lip with spring.

If anyone wants one or more, let me know. I don't know the final price yet, but they should still be under $5 plus outbound shipping. Hopefully they are shippable in an envelope so it is cheap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I'll take one! Any prob mailing to USA?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
c_j
Top Notch Member

Post by c_j »

ARCHINSTL wrote:I'll take one! Any prob mailing to USA?
Tom M.
OK, no problem mailing to the US or wherever as long as you'll cover the postage and envelope.

So that's 4 out of 10 seals spoken for.
c_j
Top Notch Member

Post by c_j »

So, the seals came in yesterday. I just went out in the rain and tapped one in to a trans out in the yard. It fits perfectly.

The price is $6.46 incl. postage to USA. ($4.26 + $2.20 postage)

PM me your address if you want one. prefer cash or paypal.

FYI: By accident, I also ordered a couple of seals that were listed by National Seals (I forget the part#) and they came out to 14X24X7 and they are definitely too small to fit on the shaft. The 16X24X7 fit nice and snug and sit perfectly flush. My advice is to tap it in with your 16mm deep socket (mine was a 3/8" drive, but it shouldn't matter)

ALSO, FYI: I was looking for the extension housing seal for the rear driveshaft output. The number on my seal is NOK AH1904F. Hopefully I can come up with a size from that number.

should I be changing the title of this thread from shifter to selector?
Last edited by c_j on Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Did you try a Toy dealer? Maybe, despite the warning from a couple of years ago, some are still around. See https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6446
Of course, the warning was for the bushing and not the seal...

I think "shifter " is good to go!

We are good for the mailing info, right?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

c_j wrote:ALSO, FYI: I was looking for the extension housing seal for the rear driveshaft output. The number on my seal is NOK AH1904F. Hopefully I can come up with a size from that number.
i replaced mine on my first terc several years ago and got the seal from lordco or duncan auto parts. the receipts for that stuff went with the car when i sold it so i don't have the part # but i don't remember having any trouble finding the seal back then. looking on rockauto.com, i see listings for a drive axle seal, extension seal, and output shaft seal. the drive axle and output shaft seal both look like CV axle seals so i would guess that the extension seal might be the one for the rear driveshaft. so tough to know with the poor descriptions and often inaccurate pics, though.
c_j
Top Notch Member

Post by c_j »

ARCHINSTL wrote:Did you try a Toy dealer?
We are good for the mailing info, right?
Tom M.
No, on the dealer. They would be my last resort. And yes on the mailing info. It'll probably go out Tuesday. I'm going to do another seal install on my daily driver and a gear oil change and make sure everything is hunky-dory before I ship any out.
c_j
Top Notch Member

Post by c_j »

dlb wrote:...i don't remember having any trouble finding the seal back then. looking on rockauto.com, i see listings for a drive axle seal, extension seal, and output shaft seal. the drive axle and output shaft seal both look like CV axle seals so i would guess that the extension seal might be the one for the rear driveshaft. so tough to know with the poor descriptions and often inaccurate pics, though.
You said it on the poor descriptions and inaccurate pics.

National lists a Extension Housing seal which is probably supposed to be for the 4wd shifter as it is the same except 2mm too small on the I.D. IMO, but let's continue with the rear driveshaft output seal information:

CR / SKF lists (in their 2002 catalog) a Rear Output Shaft seal for the 83-88 4wd wagon and is appears correct (or close). It is:
CR / SKF 12745 metal seal with single lip seal 32mm x 52mm x 8mm
--also listed is a shaft repair sleeve (Speedi-Sleeve) 99128

National does not have an application listing for this seal in their 2010 catalog.

Cross referencing the (original?) NOK AH1904F seal that is in my transmission comes up with this:
CR / SKF 12745 (same as the application listing above)
National 1167 rubber covered, double lip seal 32mm x 52mm x 11mm

If I was ordering a CR / SKF brand, I would get the (IMO better) 12748 which is rubber covered, double lip seal 32mm x 52mm x 11mm
c_j
Top Notch Member

Re: 4WD shifter / shaft seal size (& also driveshaft seal si

Post by c_j »

Ammending the price for US postage. $6.91 ($4.26 for seal + $2.65 for postage)
It had to go as light-packet. I guess they quoted me letter mail price before. Not a big difference though.

Also, my 4wd shifter shaft seal has been installed for 3 days with a fresh fill of gear lube and everything looks nice and dry still.

I didn't notice, but one when I replaced one CV axle, I didn't get it popped into the front diff properly, so the seal wasn't sealing. So between that and the leaky shifter shaft seal (and I think a leaky rear driveshaft seal), I was down a quart of lube.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

PM'd you, I'll take a couple of these if you still have them!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
c_j
Top Notch Member

Post by c_j »

irowiki wrote:PM'd you, I'll take a couple of these if you still have them!
2 seals are headed your way. The postwoman said to expect them in 5 to 7 days. $4.65 * 2 + $3.10 postage = $12.40CAD

PM'd you back.

That leaves 1 left.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: 4WD shifter / shaft seal size (& also driveshaft seal size)

Post by xirdneh »

i have been trying to order that 16x24x7 and/or 16x24x6 from local parts stores with no luck
rockauto has them for 1.94 and 7.69
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Re: 4WD shifter / shaft seal size (& also driveshaft seal size)

Post by jimcrazy »

any bearing/seal supplier should have them. my local one had 7 in stock