AM 55 amp IC alternator bearings

This is a forum JUST for posting part numbers.
Highlander
Top Notch Member

AM 55 amp IC alternator bearings

Post by Highlander »

After going around about this a second time with my local FLAPS, I took matters into my own hands and found the bearings for the '85 and later alternators. The bearing on the drive end is a common 6302, fully sealed bearing; the commutator bearing, on the other hand, is a special one that no one makes. The 6202 will fit both diameters, but is 2mm narrower. I plan on putting a 2mm spacer between the bearing and the rotor to take up the space.
My FLAPS gave me a 201 and a 203 for the rear and front bearings-that was what their book called out-BEWARE!! :roll: The books don't always have the right info!
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: AM 55 amp IC alternator bearings

Post by Petros »

Good info on the bearings. But, you know, I suspect you should check your belt tension if you have gone through two sets of alternator bearings. I have owned well over 20 Japanese made cars with 200k to 300k miles on them and have never had the alternator bearings go bad. Only replaced 2 alternators in the bunch as well, but they stopped putting out juice. And come to think about it, I have never worn out bearings on any European or domestic alternators either.

Sounds to me that your belt tension might be too high if you are wearing out alternator bearings.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Re: AM 55 amp IC alternator bearings

Post by Highlander »

I just wanted to replace them as a matter of course since I had it apart-WARNING! THE BEARING #s I LISTED DON'T, IN FACT, FIT. THEY'RE JUST A SCOSH TOO SMALL ON THE OD TO FIT WELL INTO THE HOUSING- So if the bearings go out, just replace the alternator with one from your FLAPS.
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites