Steering Intermediate shaft; new or used

This is a forum JUST for posting part numbers.
celtglen
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84/2WD/Wagon-stock/311+K miles-original engine/original owner/ no mods

Steering Intermediate shaft; new or used

Post by celtglen »

I am desperately seeking user information on the shaft from the R&P ( PWR steering) that connects the steering through the firewall. It is the intermediate shaft and my question is this; with the steering wheel in gear (but not running) should there be ANY looseness in the u-joint when moved with my hand?

15 years ago I began to lube the joint when it stiffened badly.

The u-joint looks good..kinda widened on the joint on the R&P end and there is a little play in the steering wheel when turning..not much but enough to where I am worried about it.

I cannot find a replacement except through VIlliage Toyota for $200.00---anyone got a junk yard with a good replacement one for sale?
Thanks
CG
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Steering Intermediate shaft; new or used

Post by Petros »

It seems a good repair shop should be able to find a u-joint that will work, but there are no catalogs with direct replacments, so they are hard to find.

I might have a good used one for you. do you have power steering? Also the '83-84 is different from the later ones. I have a spare one from an '84 w/ power steering. I will sell it for $30 plus $10 for shipping. I make a habit of pulling good ones from the wrecking yard when I find them, but only ones that fit mine (so I have several spares).

I also have one from an MR2 with a good u-joint, which will not fit the Tercel, but it might be possible a repair shop can swap the u-joint on to yours. The other end is junk (the MR2 has a breakable joint for safety, which is broken), so that one is is only good for the u-joint. You can have that one for just the shipping cost.

PM me for details, I will be away from my computer for a few days, so be patient with my response.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
celtglen
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84/2WD/Wagon-stock/311+K miles-original engine/original owner/ no mods

Post by celtglen »

Petros wrote:It seems a good repair shop should be able to find a u-joint that will work, but there are no catalogs with direct replacments, so they are hard to find.

I might have a good used one for you. do you have power steering? Also the '83-84 is different from the later ones. I have a spare one from an '84 w/ power steering. I will sell it for $30 plus $10 for shipping. I make a habit of pulling good ones from the wrecking yard when I find them, but only ones that fit mine (so I have several spares).

I also have one from an MR2 with a good u-joint, which will not fit the Tercel, but it might be possible a repair shop can swap the u-joint on to yours. The other end is junk (the MR2 has a breakable joint for safety, which is broken), so that one is is only good for the u-joint. You can have that one for just the shipping cost.

PM me for details, I will be away from my computer for a few days, so be patient with my response.
1984 2WD Wagon, Power Steering is this the one you have? Yeah this is the one that you cannot replace the u-Joint. I have a picture if that would help.
celtglen
Top Notch Member

Post by celtglen »

FOR SOME REASON

I can no longer reply to the PMs people have sent to me...but I WANT TO TALK TO YOU about the part...please post here. Even when I hit reply the messages lay in my outbox...

HELP!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

messages appear in your outbox until the recipient reads them so that's normal.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I was on the road with a Tercel I am bringing home from Texas, away from a computer (and this is a borrowed one). should be home in two more days, hopefully Hermes will continue to fly me home, so far so good (pretty rough little TERcel4wd, 260k orignial miles, very worn interior). So far so good.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
celtglen
Top Notch Member

Post by celtglen »

Thanks to all of y'all!