OE Shift Lever Part Numbers

This is a forum JUST for posting part numbers.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

OE Shift Lever Part Numbers

Post by ARCHINSTL »

This is from a post I made in 2009:
From Butler Toy in Indy:
33555-16030 is $.7.91---boot
33548-16010 is $.3.69---bushing
33505-16010 is $10.40---seat

Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: OE Shift Lever Part Numbers

Post by dlb »

tom, i just want to clarify what these parts are since i might be ordering them soon.

1) is the boot the rubber accordion-style thing that keeps the shifter base linkage clean and free of dirt?
2) is the bushing the tiny little thing that sits on the very tip of the shifter?
3) is the seat the cupped bushing that the ball of the shifter sits in?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

You got it!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
drege
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Hadatercel

Post by drege »

What about the O-ring/gasket that goes in the transmission case?
Seems mine drips a little, but case is still within service spec - full.
It takes more fossil fuel resources to produce new vehicles than it would take to maintain and fuel any 70's or 80's vehicle for a million miles.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

is there an o-ring in the shift lever compartment? i haven't noticed one in there so far. seems too high to be a leak point.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

O-ring? where?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
ccmt
My tercel:: '86 4WD SR5

Post by ccmt »

Another one bites the dust. Looks like the boot (33555-16030) is completely discontinued. I was able to snag the bushing and seat, so those seem to still be around. As for the boot, I check online, called Butler, even tried a potentially sketchy Japanese site and all are sold out. Any suggestions for alternative sources?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

ccmt wrote:Another one bites the dust. Looks like the boot (33555-16030) is completely discontinued. I was able to snag the bushing and seat, so those seem to still be around. As for the boot, I check online, called Butler, even tried a potentially sketchy Japanese site and all are sold out. Any suggestions for alternative sources?
Worth a phone call to Conicelli Toy in PA and Village Toy in FL.
My source has always been Butler, but others have reported good results over the years from those two (like Butler, they seem to not blow off requests for ancient econobox parts).
Perhaps some in Canada could also check sourcing in that country?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

ccmt wrote:Another one bites the dust. Looks like the boot (33555-16030) is completely discontinued. I was able to snag the bushing and seat, so those seem to still be around. As for the boot, I check online, called Butler, even tried a potentially sketchy Japanese site and all are sold out. Any suggestions for alternative sources?
you should be able to find a good used boot from a trashed trans on here. maybe post a wanted ad in the search section. i bet xirdneh or gottolovem have a few.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I would take the boot to a real, older, parts store and show them; I'd bet something would be similar and close enough to adapt.
Perhaps take it to the oldest Toy dealer in your area - possibly something is on a back shelf, forgotten for the last 25 years?
Maybe the 2WD version, if different, might still be close?
Note - I am not dissing AZ/ADV/O'R/Can Tire, etc., but...

And - if none located, perhaps it could be repaired using a good black RTV? Just a guess, though.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

2wd manual trans has a completely different external shift linkage, not even close. It has a seal, no boot.

it might be possible to fabricate a reasonable inner boot out of a short length of motor cycle or bicycle inner tube and two cable ties. the inner boot is important to keep water from collecting in the shift linkage chamber. It will cause rust and if temps stay below freezing it can freeze and prevent the shift lever from moving (frozen into the ice within the linkage chamber).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

this is the boot I used. the rubber is super flexable and soft. I use a lot of them rebuilding drive shafts, I cut the large end off to make it shorter and put a zip tie around it to hold it on tight. the small hole is about 5/8 but will stretch to about 2 inches and not tear it. $19.00 Canadian is what I buy them for so that is what about $2.75 u.s. lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you can buy similar generic accordion boots for the steering rack or cv axle for about $10 at most Autozone stores.

though that seems a bit large for the inner shift boot, you would only be using the small end and perhaps the first "node".
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

other cv boots I have used will not stretch like this one will; this thing is super pliable and will collapse down to almost flat, and there is an expander tool that will stretch the small hole out big enough to fit over the cv so you do not have to take them apart to replace the boot
ccmt
My tercel:: '86 4WD SR5

Post by ccmt »

On second look my boot wasn't too torn up so I followed Tom's advice and used some black RTV to seal up the rips. Hopefully that does the trick until I can scrounge up an intact replacement at a junkyard. Thanks for the good suggestions folks.