'87 SR5 for sale

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
TravisBickle
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5

'87 SR5 for sale

Post by TravisBickle »

Hey guys. Have a old wagon that I bought from a family friend for a way to save gas money while I was in school. It's in pretty good condition and I have a few extras.
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/d ... 18463.html
loess
Advanced Member

Re: '87 SR5 for sale

Post by loess »

I'm in Omaha and crashed my Tercel4WD last week. Trying to assess whether the frame can be straightened, whether I want to sell it as-is, or buy another T4WD daily driver and keep mine as a parts vehicle. I'll have to see when I can get down to KC, but I'd love to take a look at this one.
TravisBickle

Post by TravisBickle »

Oh man. Sorry to hear that. Hope you are okay. If you make it to town anytime soon you are more than welcome to come check it out.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Wow - 465+K miles!
Interesting - still has the luggage cover and has the adjustable wipers and cruise!
Any mechanical work history?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
TravisBickle

Post by TravisBickle »

I unfortunately don't have a detailed work history. I bought this from a friends dad. My friends aunt bought it new in Colorado and it has stayed in their family and very well cared for. I believe the engine and the transmission has been over hauled but I don't have any kind of documentation or anything. I have done a thermostat, master brake cylinder and a few other small items. If I can't sell it in a few months I may take a shot at putting on the remanufactured carb.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

loess wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:13 pm I'm in Omaha and crashed my Tercel4WD last week. Trying to assess whether the frame can be straightened, whether I want to sell it as-is, or buy another T4WD daily driver and keep mine as a parts vehicle. I'll have to see when I can get down to KC, but I'd love to take a look at this one.
Hey loess,

I just saw this unit today on CL, don't check to often, just a passing habit. Your car may be in much better shape than mine and I plan on driving the rusty frog for a long time to come, however, with no real frame to straighten, it would seem a little dicey/expensive to straighten "sub frame". I've taken pictures I hope to share in a year or so of the "frame" rust found right beneath the front floor pans. Just bubbled some from the outside, but when I started picking, tapping, etc. it's pretty much swiss cheese. Being a psuedo hillbilly, I cobbled together a strengthening member that also provided a great spot to jack the car. So far so good, time will tell. If you decide to hit KC yards, give me some notice if you like. I just texted with another Tercel owner who lives in KC and he seems to have pretty good knowledge of what is available as far as parts in at least one of the large wrecking yards. He has a line on a 4ac for me that I hope sits long enough for me to find time to go chase it.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey Travis,

How well does the cruise work on your car? I picture the cruise control on one of these 5 speeds functioning more like a throttle lock on the motorcycle. 75mph downhill and 55 going uphill :) I assume your car still has the 3ac motor?

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
TravisBickle

Post by TravisBickle »

NWMO wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:34 pm Hey Travis,

How well does the cruise work on your car? I picture the cruise control on one of these 5 speeds functioning more like a throttle lock on the motorcycle. 75mph downhill and 55 going uphill :) I assume your car still has the 3ac motor?

Chris
Alas the cruise control does not work so on the highway I just put a big rock on the gas pedal. I got the idea from a road runner cartoon. It is the 3 AC motor.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

fixing the "rough start issue" is likely a simple fix. You do not need a new carb, but to just make a few checks and adjustments. First make sure all of the vac lines are routed properly (using the vac diagram you just follow each line-only takes about ten min), and verify none are cracked or leaking. the other item is the fast idle adjustment, regular idle, and the thottle adjustment that allows the throttle to close slowly (no the front of the carb). all of these only take a few min to adjust.

The other thing that can cause hard start, particularly in damp cold weather, is a weak or cracked coil. Moisture gets in and it will barely work until it warms up and drives the moisture out.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)