1984 SR5 292,xxx $3200-Denver

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
BAMF
My tercel:: 84' 4WD SR5 Wagon

1984 SR5 292,xxx $3200-Denver

Post by BAMF »

POSTED ON CL AS WELL

Never thought I would sell her but I need money atm and I have other projects I dont have time for too lol.

SR5 Model
6 speed with extra low gear
Great clutch
Four wheel drive works great
Tiltometer (Working)
Cruise control (nonop)
AC (nonop)
Power Steering (nonop)

292,xxx miles
Starts right up hot or cold, desert or mountains, Summer or Winter and runs great. =)
Would not hesistate to drive across the country (and in fact did that just this year)

Interior is probably a 7/10, not bad really, just hasnt been a focus yet.

Exterior ins't as nice as the photos lol. I would say 8/10 as well. Really need to see up close, as its different for sure. Good thing is it wouldnt be hard to respray stock, as all the body work and blocking has been done and I left the jams stock.

This car is turn key drivable anywhere, however it does need some maintenance, mainly some suspension pieces are nearing the end of their life. I have damn near an entire front suspension set up going with the car; Ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings ect as well as a variety of quite a few other new or quality used condition parts going with.

I have done a ton of maintenance on this car, including the head gasket/timing belt deal. Ask for more details, dont feel like writing it out. Also Four pretty much brand new Firestone Winterforce Studabble snow tires

Car was painted October 2016 and is a bit different, we can talk.

Will post interior pics tomorrow

Title in hand

$3200 obo

Please call or text anytime, text preferably.

Alex

Thanks for looking!
Attachments
E323C03C-378E-480E-A9B7-FF2A1B2B4AFD.JPG
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: 1984 SR5 292,xxx $3200-Denver

Post by Petros »

how can you sell such a fantastic Tercel4wd!
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 5.5 Tercels total... Not enough

Post by Rednecklawrence »

That is beautiful! Id buy her in a heartbeat, but I'm in Canada...
BAMF

Post by BAMF »

Petros I know I know!!

I may not have to sell her but I had to at least try!

Also, what part of Canada? I feel like She will make it anywhere at this point.
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member

By Edmonton, Alberta. Quite a bit of a jaunt.
BAMF

Post by BAMF »

Damn. I just drove her practically that same distance from Portland Oregon to Boulder Colorado last week.
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member

Yeah, I wouldn't have the $$ either. Just crashed my SR5 about 2 months ago, dad wont let me get another. Wants something with ABS and airbags for me to drive. But that is a beauty paint job. Is she even rusty at all?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

air bags are not a reliable way to improve safety, they seem to kill and injure as many as they claim to save. As an engineer that has worked in the automotive industry (and it aerospace, and a few other areas), I can not see how having an explosive device go off in your face a way to enhance safety. all of the modern cars warn you must still wear your safety belt, and that the air bags are only "supplemental". (labeled in fact "SRS" supplemental restraint system). because of recent revelations that airbag malfunctions have actually killed people and causes accidents when they went off when they were not supposed to, including many stories of children being decapitated by them, the industry responded by installing an big "off switch". so, if you do not like them, you can turn them off. but you still have to buy them. I just as soon not buy them.

the guy that invented them had to get investor so he could buy off congress with campaign contributions to pass a law to force us to buy airbags. I have worked for three different racing teams designing race cars, including one fully professional factory backed racing program. In the US there are both amateur and professional racing events every weekend in every state, and yet dealths are so rare they are news worthy. Guess what? not a single race car has airbags, if you really want improved safety, just install a better seat belt system (that you can buy after market).

Another thing not a single race has is ABS brakes, because they are a way that the car manufacturers can install smaller brakes. ABS brakes also requires improper (and dangerous) braking technique to use properly. when they malfunction you are almost certainly going to lose control of your car. I also hate anti lock brakes, too much out of your control, and when they malfunction the car becomes impossible to control in a panic stop. No thanks. the fastest cars in the world do not use them, and it is expected that skilled drivers know how to modulate the brakes to prevent lock up.

I have a thread on this forum where I outline out to install larger more powerful brakes on the Tercel (brakes in fact that Toyota should have installed on the T4wd). Never had an issue with braking with the improvements.

There have been a number of forum members that survive pretty serious accidents because the remarkable little Tercel4wd is sturdier than the equivalent sedans, and can take a lot of beating and still protect the occupants. If you stay in your seat, and have the better brake set up that I designed for this car, you will be as safe as anything else on the road, with a lot less automatic BS and useless expensive junk to malfunction and maintain.

The Tercel has its shortcomings for sure, but with the DIY brake improvements and a modern safety belt system, it should be one of the safest cars on the road. You can even go one step further, and install an internal cage like the real race cars. And you would still spend far less money than buying a newer car with all the government mandated safety BS (mostly lobbied for by profiteers), and getting better fuel economy and reliability than any new car.
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member

I don't disagree with that in the slightest. Its not me that wants all that crap, its my dad... God I wish I could move out
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

fell for the marketing and false promise of buying a "safer" new car.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Yes, it's much safer to crash in an old shoe box made of cardboard and tinfoil than a modern car. :lol: :roll:

Newer cars are safer, you just can't get around that. Let's compare!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR_f4ENMo2o

A few things to notice:
1. The deformation of the vehicle around the doors. It basically folds in half around the passenger compartment
2. The occupants head impacts, then drives through the steering wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6c2qC4r7Q4

1. Notice much, if any, deformation of the passenger compartment? Not really.
2. Dummy's head does not make noticeable contact with the steering wheel, if at all.

This is what keeps people safe: Not smacking their heads on things in the cabin and not being crushed by the cabin. And that's just comparing a frontal collision, imagine if we were comparing the new low-offset test!

OP, good luck with your sale!
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

in both of those videos the dummies do not stay in the seats, the seat belt is too flimsy. Also, in the '80 corrola, the steering wheel gets pushed back into the driver. this must have been before the requirement that steering wheels and column does not do that, our steering column can not do that, newer safer design. I do not see a lot of deformation around the passanger compartment, but again our cars meet the later requirments. The thercel has crush zones and a reinfoced passanger compartment. Need a better comparison, but I suspect the Tercel4wd was a head of most cars at the time in terms of safety.

With better seat belts, dummy would not go into steering wheel. Also, the crashworthyness requirements change over time.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

i really like the paint job
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.