2x Corolla All-Trac Wagons (Victoria BC)

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
gutless_wonder

2x Corolla All-Trac Wagons (Victoria BC)

Post by gutless_wonder »

Neither of these are mine. Found this board while researching Corolla All-Tracs, thought I'd share.

1993 Corolla All-Trac wagon, with 194,000 km. $2950 CAD. Automatic. Has some rust around the wheel wells. Owner emailed additional pics, which are attached. http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- ... 4_29591506

1988 Corolla All-Trac wagon, with 280,000 km (not in ad, but owner confimed via email). $300 CAD. Manual (owner also confimed via email). Apparently doesn't run, owner suspects fuel pump.
https://victoria.craigslist.ca/pts/6167117858.html

Question: is a transmission swap difficult for these? Would it be possible to convert the '93 to manual with parts from the '88?
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Re: 2x Corolla All-Trac Wagons (Victoria BC)

Post by helipilot77 »

Anything is possible. I converted my 1987 4Runner to a manual. I needed to swap over the pedal box, add the clutch hydraulics, change a bunch of wiring for the starter circuit, cruise circuit and reverse light circuit. I also had to drill a hole in the floor for the shifter. To change out the transmission on an all-trac the best way is to raise the whole vehicle high enough to lower the engine and transmission out of the bottom as a unit. The transverse engine mounting makes these incredibly challenging to remove from above.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Welcome to the forum,

actually I have removed the trans in an all trac corolla to change the clutch, without removing the engine. took a bit of wrestling, but it is much much easier than pull the engine and trans together as the FSM says.

if you have a complete donor car to do the conversion, I would not think it would be too bad. I beleive the '93 is the same car as the '88, except minor trim, and similar details. It is a big job, I have done it on a 1966 volvo, but that is a much simpler car.

before you do the swap, see if you can determine why it is not running, might be easier to just fix the manual trans car rather than move the trans over to the other one.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I would look at buying the Non runner!.Looks like it is an sr5 model with ther rear locker and a few other fruit. perhaps do a compression test etc. if the body is in better condition you would be a lot better off with it than trying to do a swap and then trying to fix the rust. Even if you had to replace the engine in the non runner you would still be out on top and you can easily replace it with other Toyota engines such as a 7afe and even a 4age which have a bit more power and are fairly commonplace and tunable and in chevy prisms and lots of other cars. I believe auto and manual have different electrical looms, computers etc as I have taken apart some before. There will be a lot of work in making an auto to manual. just get the manual and fix it even if you get a mechanic to do it you will still be ahead.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

Mattel - I saw that rear locker too. :lol: Those are becoming hard to find.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

our corolla all trac had one of those rear roof lockers, seemed a rather odd feature. And almost useless.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I use my locker all the time. great to stash cameras and things like laptops in out of the way of dogs and prying eyes
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms