1984 Tercel SR5 4WD Brooklyn, NY

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
A_luck

1984 Tercel SR5 4WD Brooklyn, NY

Post by A_luck »

Hello all,
first time poster.

My neighbor here in Brooklyn, NY is selling her 1984 Tercel SR5 4WD manual for $1,000 and I am tempted to buy it.

Honestly, I don't know a lot about cars. I figured I'd post up what I know here and see if any of you could share some of your expert insight. Also, if I don't end up with it, maybe some other folks on here in Brooklyn might find a use for it. Are there any members in the New York area?

I had a chance to drive it around yesterday and it felt good.
Here's what I know:
-Odometer reads ~160,000 but she thinks it's more like ~260,000.
-She has replaced the muffler 3x in the past 5 years. (wonder why?)
-New Battery
-New belt
-She replace the head gasket last year.
-The front fender panels (?) have significant rust, and there is some rust underneath the car (wish I had a photo), on the hood, near the key holes, and on the trunk.
-Front bumper is hanging off the dented driver side fender panel.
-Driver left turn signal cover broken.
-No AC
-Interior is in excellent condition. (Wish I had a photo)

(I'll edit this post when I learn more about the car.)

Hopefully I put this post in the right place.
Attachments
IMG_1571.JPG
IMG_1537.JPG
IMG_1536.JPG
IMG_1535.JPG
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: 1984 Tercel SR5 4WD Brooklyn, NY

Post by Petros »

if it is mechanically sound, that does not sound like a bad price. Fairly low miles as well (my daily driver has almost 400k miles, with just about every mechanical part replaced on it two or more times).

As far as rust is concerned, you would know more about that than most of us out west where it is not as much a problem. the areas I have heard are a problem is the brake lines, the rear suspension mounts (particularly the lateral link mount behind the axle), the fuel tank and the front struts. You have yearly safety inspections to pass, if they decided it is too far gone you will have to fix all the rust, or sell it out of state.

If the main underbody is solid, and the rust only confined to the fenders, than it may only be superficial. Other than the costly and extensive welding required to properly fix rust problems, most of the car is easy to maintain with ordinary hand tools, parts are mostly available and inexpensive.

The only exception is the transmission, which is unique to this model of Toyota, if it fails finding another good one can take a while, and might be costly. they have not made any transmissions since 1988, so all of the used ones are about the same age. If well cared for, not abused, and the oil is changed at regular intervals, it should last a very long time.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 6-spd SR5 4wd Wagon

Re: 1984 Tercel SR5 4WD Brooklyn, NY

Post by GLet71 »

Yes, look underneath the carpet on the drivers side, maybe you will find you have the Fred Flinstone version (hole in the floor).
Currently:
Majorette France Tercel 4WD - Fini
Formerly:
'87 6spd SR5 4WD modified Wagon (Ron, the post-apocalyptic summer ride)
'87 6spd dlx 4wd Wagon (Pinkman Got Nuthin', aka Pinky)
'87 Auto dlx 4WD Wagon (Otto, temporary parts car)
'88 6spd SR5 4WD Wagon (Perry, the parts car)