87 tercel seattle

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
Samyo
My tercel:: 84 sr5

87 tercel seattle

Post by Samyo »

Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: 87 tercel seattle

Post by Petros »

looks like it is worth saving if you have a spare transmission. not bad looking and otherwise clean, decent price even with a blown trans. some one should rescue this Tercel4wd. I would consider it but I have too many projects already, and no time for it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
scotisha
Top Notch Member

Post by scotisha »

How hard is it to put a new tranny in? My tercel is succumbing to the rust and I am looking to get a new one and swap all my fun pieces
Driver: '86 4wd Tercel Wagon
Fun: '98 BMW M3 sedan

Now I have the best of both worlds!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

it is a big job, lots of components to remove because of the 4wd system, but it is straight forward and not particularly difficult, just a lot of heavy wrenching that needs to be done. No special tools either, though a floor jack is very helpful (the scissors jack that comes with your car works to, but a couple of long beams and an assistant to help you raise make the job much eaiser). You have to lever the heavy transaxle assembly back up into the car. If you are a body builder you can "bench press" it back up into the tunnel.

There is a pretty good detailed thread on R and R-ing the transmission over in the repair guides section written up by Xirdneh.
LOSTFISH
My tercel:: BLUE 87

Post by LOSTFISH »

hey guys im new to the forum
and I actually just bought just bought that 87
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum!

good for you. how does it actually drive, does it really need a new transmission? where are you located?
LOSTFISH

Post by LOSTFISH »

thank you
its my first tercel. its seems to drive OK actually, needs a tune up for sure but haven't drove it much. it sounds more like rattle going on somewhere then a trans issue. but im not sure

im located in Tacoma washington
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

sometimes the clutch will rattle and people think the trans is bad and junk the car. what a shame, one should always diagnose the problem before they try and fix it.

one thing you might do is drain and refill the trans with fresh gear lube, make sure you get all 4.1 quarts in it. Low gear oil can make the trans act poorly. also, while you are under the car, look for loose exhaust parts or the exhaust mount on the side of the transmission. that could cause a rattle you hear and feel through the transmission. there is a detailed procedure for changing the trans lube over in the repair guides section, it is a really important part of keeping the transmission in good condition.
LOSTFISH

Post by LOSTFISH »

oh definitely im going to make sure the trans some fresh oil in it ( any recommendations as far as gear lube?)

the car is a survivor though. its all there, interior, trim all of it. the guy bought it from also sold me and 83. the 83 isn't as nice but I got some spare parts that came with the cars

do you know where I might find a carb rebuild kit ?
Last edited by LOSTFISH on Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

rockauto.com. sometimes they have them on sale cheap if they are over stocked. also there is a forum member selling a rebuild kit.

BTW, unless you know the carb is bad, chances are it is not the carb. they are pretty reliable considering how complex they are. when ever I find a Tercel4wd that runs badly (and I have owned like 12, and worked on a lot more), I check all the vac lines for proper routing (the vac diagram in repair guides section of this forum), and none are leaking, cut or damaged, than check for other vacuum leaks around the manifold, or all the vac operated parts, and than adjust the cold start linkage, the throttle linkage, and the device opposite the throttle cable that prevents the throttle from slamming shut. Almost always that solves the problem: fix all vac leaks, than adjust all the linkages. I also spray carb cleaner down the carb, and lubricate all the linkage as well. the Factory Service manual (FSM) has simple procedures for adjusting the carb.

I bought one T4wd sight unseen for cheap, the seller had it towed to my house. It started and ran, but like crap, no power, the seller said the carb needed to be rebuilt, and the brakes needed to be bled, along with a few other repairs. Turned out to need a lot more than that, but I never did rebuild the carb: I found and fixed nine vac leaks, so after I got the carb adjusted it ran great. I can not tell you how many tercels that other forum members were told by repari shops it needed a new carburator, and of the ones I got to look at and tinker with, not one yet has needed a carb rebuild, let alone a $750 new carb. BTW, sometimes the $500 rebuilt ones are junk, and worse than the original. Do not assume that if a "professional" mechanic worked on it last it was servcied properly, most of them were not even born when this car was in production and do not know what they are doing when it comes to this old of a fuel system, they can make a mess of it because they do not want to take the time to learn the system to fix it properly. It is also always easy to blame the carburetor when it runs crappy and you do not know where else to look.

Always diagnose the problem before you try and fix it. And do not trust what anyone else says bout it unless they know this cars fuel and emissions system very well.

do not be intimidated by the old carb and vacuum operated fuel/emissions system. Go though each system one at a time and verify everything is routed properly and working per the FSM. It is not so bad, and you will learn a lot about it as you go. Usually it is an easy fix, it is locating the problem that is time consuming. So start with basics, vac lines and adjustments.

good luck.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome!
For emission tubing routing, since it is (apparently) a non-CA car - look in the Repair Guides Forum for a color-coded map I did some years ago.
Also - when filling the trans/diff - look at the guides and make sure the filler plugs can be removed before draining the trans/diff!
Also - d/l the FSM - a link is a sticky in the General Forum.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
oldfaithful
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD

Post by oldfaithful »

Petros is right, these little carbs work great, my Terc has 847000kms on it and it is still the original carb that came on the car when it was new. I took the original motor out at 643900 kms. and used the carb, intake and exhaust manifolds off it and installed on the motor I put back in it. The only thing I have done to the carb is replaced the little bellow boot a couple of times because it gets brittle and cracks that fits around the accelerator pump. I take the top off the carb every two or three years and clean everything good with carb cleaner,I bought a 32/36 Webber carb a few yeas ago but I never installed it,the old saying "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it applies here I guess.
LOSTFISH

Post by LOSTFISH »

alright guys i really appreciate the help. so i guess as far as maintenance goes. what are things i should be looking for? im just looking for some knowledge. i never owned one of these cars and now i own 2 lol

and i think im going to part out the second one
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

if the second one is not wrecked or a rust bucket, it is worth getting it road worthy. fix it up and it could pay for everything you spent so far. Around here clean and good running daily driver Tercel4wd will sell for over $3000, more if they are in top condition. they have become a kind of a cult car in the Puget Sound area. the anti-subaru.

Maintenance: check, or change all the fluids, including fresh break fluid (unless you know it is not too old). Check all suspension bushings, boots, stuts and shocks for condition and operation. Check cv axles for play and condition of the boots.

If the coolant is old, flush and change it and install a new quality thermostat (not a communist made one for less than $10, good ones are around $16-20). Cheap t-stats are a dangerous waste of money, when they fail you could trash the engine. carefully check all of the hoses, upper and lower radiator (particularly the upper one, that is the high pressure/high temp one), and the heater hoses. If any appear questionable replacement, use stainless hose clamps. if any of the hoses have the original factory wire clamps, the hose is likely as old as the car, unfortunately most of the heater hoses require preformed ones because of the tight bends, rockauto.com are your best bet to find them, they can be costly from the autoparts store.

Lubricate the throttle cable, heater controls and cables (use silicone spray), door locks, door latches and hinges. Inspect the brakes front and rear to see how much material is left, also check the rear brake cylinders for leaking. Note, the rear brakes last a very long time so do not be conerned if the rear shoes appear thin, only if it is almost through the lining should they be replaced.

Set your spark timing at 10 deg before TDC (not the factory 5 deg). if it pulls to one side when you drive it have the alignment done (but only after you have replaced any worn front end bushings or parts, they are easy to do yourself, a repair shop will charge you big bucks for it).

good luck.
LOSTFISH

Post by LOSTFISH »

thank you for all the info petros, I will be referring to your post a lot lol

the white 83 I bought is definitely a rust bucket and not exactly something I would want to drive. but all the interior is in it.
if any of you guys are interested I can make a for sale post in the future for its almost a complete set of brown interior minus a few pieces