STOLLEN: 85 4wd manual camo print with thule cargo box

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
shambug
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 85 SR5 4WD

STOLLEN: 85 4wd manual camo print with thule cargo box

Post by shambug »

I left my 1985 4wd tercel parked at a x girl friends house. She stole the car and I assume sold it. It had hand painted camo/hippy design. It had a thule cargo box. weber carb new distributor starter alternator and belts. Sunroof. Cracked windshield. The ignition was busted out. The back seets had been removed and a cargo/sleeping area made. Had 1 mud flap. 1st gear was out. I removed the battery before I left so it likely didn't have one.The registration and title were in my name. Jacob W***. 647-GNN license plate with brand new tags. The car was parked in dayton OR. If you bought this car I would like it back. It could have been sold anytime in the last 2 mouths. I would not like to involve the police unless its necessary. I understand you most likey didnt know it was stolen. Im sure we can work out a deal. Call or Text 503-334-6757.
Attachments
11380016_468158013358806_287325697_n.jpg
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: STOLLEN: 85 4wd manual camo print with thule cargo box

Post by Petros »

good luck.

If the car was left long enough the police would consider it "abandoned" which means the person who has control over it (the property owner) can dispose of it. which means it would not be considered stolen. Usually a wrecker would just take it and crush it for scrap metal, not sure any other buyer would purchase it without a title, there are extra costs and hassles to get it registered without a title.

You might be able to check with your motor vehicle department on the status, if it was salvaged or attempts made to register it. Usually there are means that will allow you to recover it if it is in someone's possession. if it went to a wrecker, not likely, they have privileges no one else has when it comes to taking "abandoned" vehicles. IOW, if you or I pick up an apparently abandoned car, and the owner shows up you have to surrender it, yet most wreckers have no such requirements, you are out of luck.

You need to check the laws in your state what your rights are with regards to reclaiming it. In my state the former owner has two years to claim an abandon vehicle if it is now owned by a private party (that was the case with my daily driver that I got from a tow impound yard). If it had gone to a wrecker, the previous owner would have been out of luck. AS it was the previous owner did not attempt to make any claim, it had been left in the impound yard for over six years before I got it. I happen to know the tow truck operator, who traded it to me, he had intended to repair it (blown trans of course), but he could have sold it for scrap after only 90 days. So his affection for the T4wd (he owned another one), and me coming along at the right time saved it from the crusher. I am still friends with the tow truck operator and if he recovers any T4wd, he lets me know about.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

I'm just wondering if the car was still registered? In Oz, a car can sit on the street forever and no-one can touch it as long as it is registered and not illegally parked.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
shambug
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 85 SR5 4WD

Post by shambug »

The car was sitting for 2 mouths at my x girl friends house witch I had made a deal to keep it there. It was not on the street. The car was registered to me and the title in my name.. I left the title in the car. I was hopping someone bought it as parts or a fixer. I have little I have little hope of recovery however I though I would try. I will be buying a new T4 when I can.