1983 Tercel 4wd - Needs Work

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
dpowers
My tercel:: Former owner of two 1983 SR5 4WDs. Currnet owner of 1981 and 1986 4X4 Toyota Pickups

1983 Tercel 4wd - Needs Work

Post by dpowers »

Howdy 4wd Tercel aficionados,

1983 4wd Tercel Wagon with the 5-speed manual transmission. Located in Durango, Colorado.

Odometer reads 294k but its on it's second engine with unknown miles. As mentioned again below, this car needs a clutch. Or, as far as I can tell it needs a clutch. There is a possibility that the transmission is bad, but the symptoms make me think it's the clutch. $450

It has been off the road since June, but has been started weekly and fuel stabilizer added to the tank. I'd love to fix this car but can't find time and also have another 4wd Tercel and don't really need two of them.

First with the bad:

-Needs a clutch (maybe transmission). New clutch plate included
-Burns oil and smokes pretty good upon startup (probably needs valve seals?). The smoke clears up once its warmed up and driving. Uses about a quart of oil every 2000 miles.
-Rust and dents. Not as bad as some. (Undercarriage is not rusted out)
-Interior is rough. Drivers seat and rear carpet torn, and carpet and seats are dirty
-Driver and passenger window regulators are bad
-The heater is a little weak
-Not pretty
-No AC. Came this way from the factory.

The Good:

-This is the SR5 model with the super cool blue plaid seats and inclinometer
-The engine seems strong (haven't done a compression check, but could do one if you come check it out).
-Ran, drove, and stopped good before the clutch went out
-Was getting 25/26 miles per gallon when recently used as a daily driver for my 50 mile daily commute
-In the last year I've replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses, fan belt, pcv valve, battery, and wipers
-Good snow tires with 90% tread remaining, newer alternator, plugs, and wires
-The timing belt is in good shape and looks fairly new
- Windshield has no cracks
-Starts up no problem on really cold mornings
-Has a working radio and cassette player
-Ski rack included, if you want it...
-Has lots of character

Thanks for looking.
Attachments
Nov 15 Phone Pics 004.JPG
Late April 2016 023.JPG