Advice on Value?

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
Wtfkent

Advice on Value?

Post by Wtfkent »

Hi folks - long time listener, first time caller. I'll be checking out this 83 Tercel tomorrow:
https://santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5829897468.html

I'm liking a lot of what I see. Seller states the odo is at 217,881. Should I be too concerned about the 2.5" lift? That seems like a little much, to me.
Also, the price seems a bit high, particularly for New Mexico. I'd put this one closer to $1500; am I being too cheap?

Thanks in advance, have been digging on this forum so much.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Advice on Value?

Post by Petros »

Hi Wtfkent,

welcome to the forum. if the car is in good condition, no rust and no major mechanical repairs needed, that would sell for as much as $3500 in the Puget Sound area. That seems a fair price, though his choice in decoration theme may actually be a turn off to some. I wonder the condition of the front seats are under the storm trooper covers.

You would do well to get it for less than the asking price, perhaps $2000-2200. but it sounds like it will last you for a long time. He says it will need new struts, that might be a good time to lower the front by an inch or so. that much angle on the CV joints means they will wear out very quickly, the rear is no problem (that would be preference), as long as there are no clearance issues. the cost of struts is not too bad if you can do the work yourself, otherwise expect to pay about $400-500 to get them replaced. Also, I would ask about the age of the clutch, they last a long time (100k miles or more) but they are a major job to replace. It may have gotten a new one when the engine was rebuilt, so it should be in good condition. YOu might try the clutch test, see if the clutch will stall the engine.

good luck, lets us know what happens.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)