1986 Toyota SR5 4WD Wagon - $1600 (Denver)

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
jaredheath
My tercel:: Locating..

1986 Toyota SR5 4WD Wagon - $1600 (Denver)

Post by jaredheath »

hey guys!
so i'm completely new to this forum, but stoked to learn what i can from you guys about Tercels.
i just recently (within this past year or two) discovered an SR5 on the streets of downtown Crested Butte, Colorado, and have been in love ever since.. and with the never-timely passing of my 98 Subaru Impreza, i had been looking for another cool, capable wagon.
all this to say, i'm still on the search for one and getting closer and closer to being in desperate need of a vehicle..
i have my own thoughts from looking at these so relentlessly the past few months..

BUT - what are your expert opinions on this dude's SR5 in Denver? (link at bottom)
and other than the ones in the "for sale" catagory, (like the good-looking, slightly overpriced Vermont/Cali SR5) any more you may know of that i could potentially call my first Tercel? :wink:

jared

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5599502685.html
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: 1986 Toyota SR5 4WD Wagon - $1600 (Denver)

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum!

the SR5 in the ad looks like it could be a great buy. It appears the front seat is rather worn, and the paint is about shot, but the body looks good and sounds like it is in good mechanical condition.

There cars are very reliable but of course with a car this old you need to expect that it will have parts that should be replaced. If you have the knowledge to check it out in detail (or pay a shop to look it over for you...even than they could miss something), do so very carefully. Even than, there is always a risk that it will need something soon. check out the FAQ section for information on buying a Tercel4wd.

The good news is most mechanical parts are still available, this car fairly easy to fix yourself, and also the parts are fairly inexpensive to buy relative to other brands of car parts.

Make sure the transmission is good condition, that is the one thing that can cause you heartache and big expenses. If the gear oil was changed, and it was not abused, the trans should hold up well. So check it out for function, and inspect for leaky oil seals in the trans. If it was run low on gear oil it will cause damage to it. Shift it carefully through all the gears, both in 2wd and 4wd, using the extra low, listen for bad noises, whine or grinding in each gear at all speeds.

Also, try and find out when the clutch was replaced last, though they do not cost much to buy, it is a big job to replace the clutch and is costly if you can not do it yourself.

Do not buy a car this old unless you can do your own work, or are willing to pay the big bucks to have someone else work on it for you.

That car would be a great buy if it was mechanically good, head gasket, engine compression, valve stem seals, clutch, brakes, suspension and transmission all in good condition, it would be a decent price.

Always offer a lower price of course, particularly if it is cosmetically unattractive, you can always fix the paint and the seat later.

good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Post by Ridlbox »

Vehicle other than the paint looks pretty good
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

That's a fair price in my local market " IF IT RUNS GOOD" i'll bet 1,400 would take it home.

Does it have to pass emissions in Denver? (the weber could effect that)

Upgraded Brimbo Brakes?????? I would love to see a photo of that! :oldgeek:
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

looks nice in the pics. the weber can be prone to icing in cold weather, which i find annoying though. what are brimbo brakes? never heard of them.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Brembo make performance brake pads, which is likely what is installed. You can replace the whole brake assembly with Brembos like these (I want!):
2549_brembo6pistonred.jpg

though I would suspect that one brake set up like this cost as much as he is asking for the whole car, so likely not.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
jaredheath

Post by jaredheath »

thanks for all the input guys.
still definitely considering this one, especially since my budget does not extend much farther than this anyways..
since i don't actually live in denver, my idea was to try and get it taken to a toyota dealership to be checked out, then fly out one-way to roadtrip it home..

again, this is a question coming from someone with inexperience, so i may need some grace..
but what would it look like (difficulty of project, as well as financially) to give one of these a small lift?
i'm normally not a fan of lifts, but if one were to make it a bit more capable, i feel like Tercels could also wear one pretty well.

your thoughts?
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

I done small lift on mine in the rear with air shocks,,running about 30-35 psi in them and the ride is great not rough,,i made a set of spacers for the front just 1", haven't put them on yet just made them yesterday, plan on putting on 195-70-14 tires on have 175-65-14 on it now. it sits up nice as it is but would like another 1"
Attachments
006.JPG
002.JPG
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Forget the dealership I've purchased tercels in far worse shape and driven them large distances home!
One with a completely dead cylinder through the Sierra Nevadas without incident.
If this car is this guy's daily driver offer him 1400 bucks fly there and drive your new car home!!!! :oldgeek:
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

jaredheath wrote:thanks for all the input guys.
since i don't actually live in denver, my idea was to try and get it taken to a toyota dealership to be checked out, then fly out one-way to roadtrip it home..
I think you would be looking at BIGGA Bucks having a Toy dealer "look at it;" 'member, it is in business to do, well, "business."
And - Denver in Colorado to Winter Garden in Florida is at least 1830 miles! And in a strange vehicle that is untested for long journeys to boot.
I am not knocking your self-admitted inexperience but, to me, that would be a daunting experience, even packing a tool chest (which you really should have, but $ to take on an airplane).
My (unrequested) advice would be to continue to look for a nice one much closer to FL.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

ARCHINSTL wrote: My (unrequested) advice would be to continue to look for a nice one much closer to FL.
Tom M.
i agree. i've had some pretty serious disappointments involved with buying vehicles sight unseen and having to travel great distances for them so i recommend against it.
jaredheath

Post by jaredheath »

hmm, these are good points..
my family lives in central Oklahoma, which would be its first destination for a little while. (approx 650 miles ish)
that may or may not change your recommendations, just thought i should share where it'd actually be headed.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

if you have family in oklahoma, you might watch the craigslist listings around there for one. should be pretty rust free in that area, i think. then if you find something that looks good, a mechanically inclined member of your fam could go check it out for you. then you could also incorporate a family visit into getting the car.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Yeah, I would never take one of these to a Toyota dealer, they'd probably laugh at you!

We did a 750 mile road trip with an unknown Tercel and it was...interesting.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
jaredheath

Post by jaredheath »

well it has removed itself from CL.. so he must've sold it.
the search continues! thanks for the suggestions guys.

i'll definitely take the immediate long trip into a bit more cautious consideration next time..
but for the record - interesting, extensive, and eventful roadtrips are right up my alley. (i'm a patient human)