Nice looking car in Vermont, asking is high $9995

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
SnowGoose
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 Wagon

Nice looking car in Vermont, asking is high $9995

Post by SnowGoose »

Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Re: Nice looking car in Vermont, asking is high $9995

Post by Mad_Marx »

99% sure that's the car that showed up on eBay a while back, found via Bring A Trailer. I recognized the center caps, paint scheme and California blue plate. As I recall one of the posters on Bring A Trailer contacted the seller after the auction was closed prematurely, the selling price was around $7,000.00 How could anyone give up on such a sweet cherry ride so quickly!? Or maybe it's just some pedestrian with no respect for the Tercel 4WD trying to flip cars and make a few bucks. ??? buyer beware.

http://bringatrailer.com/2016/01/07/all ... l-sr5-4wd/

P.S. What a d*ck! Leaving a sweet rust free California car out in the snow!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

what do you mean? the guy changed the spark plugs and wires, and did an oil change. That has to be worth $3000, do not you think? [not!].

at 171k miles, that is rather steep. I considered if I found restorable Tercel4wd cars, put in rebuilt engine and trans, new brakes (up graded of course), all new suspension parts, tires, wheel, ground up body rebuild and repaint, and new carpets and upholstery, the car might be worth about $10,000. and you might make about $1000 for all your trouble. If you can find a buyer willing to spend that much for a rebuilt 30+ year old car. I suspect you might be able to sell a few of them, but there will not be a very large market for it.

I do not think they are that rare, nor that much in demand, yet.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

He even reused the pictures from ebay!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

the pics of the floor in the cargo area actually look like they are rusty and covered over with some kind of putty. no sure why they would take pics of that when they're trying to market the car as flawless.

there is a pic of the left front inner wheel well that appears to show rust as well.

very strange.
SnowGoose

Post by SnowGoose »

It made it to Nice Price or Crackpipe. Weigh in at Jalopnik.

http://jalopnik.com/for-9-995-this-1983 ... 1760773133
Tercel
My tercel:: 1984 FWD DLX

Post by Tercel »

SnowGoose wrote:It made it to Nice Price or Crackpipe. Weigh in at Jalopnik.

http://jalopnik.com/for-9-995-this-1983 ... 1760773133
Damn. I recognized it on Jalopnik from the forum and came to post just that
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD SR5 Wagon : "The Brochure Car"

Post by bryanthompson »

For whatever it's worth, fellas, I looked at this one the first time around. And yes, DLB is correct: There are some sketchy rust cover ups happening with this little car. It's not a bad vehicle, to be sure, but it's definitely not the showroom perfect gem that the (two now) sellers are claiming. That cargo floor rust portends other issues. My guess is that the current seller has come to this unfortunate realization, but now, sadly, the car no longer has access to its California blue plates. I hope whoever considers purchasing this car takes the time to get informed about it before making a serious offer.
cabinguyvt
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 wagon

Post by cabinguyvt »

All that posted negative comments....you don't have a clue. I was a Toyota tech when this car was new. It is so close to new condition it is amazing.
There are NO rust issues at all other than a couple paint chip spots under the hood.
It now has new cooper tires, new inner tie rods, fresh plugs/wires. Getting a new themostatic vacuum switch soon as it arrives, fresh front end alignment, new front rotors/pads. Snow on this car, like that is going to hurt it, no different than rain! I used the ebay pics, to show it WAS in Ca.
Keep your negative comments to yourself..............they are not needed.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Dude, this is an internet forum and everyone is entitled to any opinion they desire. If you don't like that, go find another forum to complain on.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

cabinguyvt wrote:All that posted negative comments....you don't have a clue.
:lol: LOL :lol:

We are CLEARLY the least knowledgeable people on the planet about this particular model of vehicle! That's why the forum was created were all just clueless :shock:

If your able to fetch that price for your car that is great news for all of us here!!!

I have a pristine totally rust free t4 with 25k less miles than the car in this thread! If you can sell yours at 10 thousand dollars I should be able to get 15 thousand dollars for mine any takers? (I payed 750 bucks for it) :oldgeek:

Tell ya what in the interest St. Patrick's day I'll knock off a thousand bucks and deliver it ANYWHERE

Don't get me wrong cabinguy you have a very nice t4 for sale it's just priced to high
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Cabin guy,

the only negative thing about your car is the price, seems a bit high compared to the collective experiance of all of the Tercel4wd owners on this forum, there are like 800 or so of us here (and most of us own more than one, I have three right now).

If you can get it, so much the better. But we suspect you will be waiting quite a while before you can get that much for it, if at all.

Good luck.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

cabinguy, you shouldn't take these comments personally. no one is personally attacking you. people are simply looking at your ad and saying "i don't think it's worth that much." people are allowed think and say that, and you are free to disagree, but you can't expect anyone -- especially a forum of enthusiasts -- to not think or talk about a car you put up for sale.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I have owned a total of 13 Tercel4wd, I drove all of them home, I have sold 10 of them. the most I have paid is $800, I have bought 4 of them for between $100 and $200, one I was given for free (and yes, it started and I drove it home). Once cleaned up and fixed up so they are mechanically near perfect, and good daily drivers, the ones that sold went for $2500 to $3500. some of them were very clean, and in this area these cars are very popular but $4000 seems about the upper limit. So that is why $10k is seems somewhat high, with that amount of miles.

If your car was mechanically and body perfect, and had less than 50k miles, than maybe.

Good luck.
SnowGoose

Post by SnowGoose »

I'm newer to this forum, but my two cents, cabinguy, is that you're asking a lot for this car. I just purchased my first one last September, after looking in New England for a long time. The one I purchased has been in Maine its whole life and is definitely used with nearly 270k miles, but it was rust-free because it was never driven once the salt was put down, and it has been kept inside every winter. I paid $2,050 for it.

I saw the ad and started this thread. I look periodically for Tercels in New England - and have picked up two parts cars since purchasing my T4WD. I noted that the price was high. Some of the more established forum members pointed out where the car came from and some of the possible concerns. Before purchasing my car, I lurked on here for a long-time - this site is the number one (only, really) place for knowledge about servicing these vehicles. Based on other vehicles I've owned, this site is downright awesome in the amount of information and support it provides - knowing it was here was enough for me to want to buy one of these cars. Being a novice myself, I wouldn't go picking arguments with these people - I'd be looking for their knowledge.

The appeal in this car to me is that I like practical vehicles that I can lug a lot of stuff in, and that I can also work on myself. I have a feeling that most of the people on this forum probably feel the same way. Nobody drives an old 4-banger Japanese wagon because they want a speedy show car. I also have a feeling that most people, whether on this forum or not, that are looking for low-powered high-mileage 1980's wagons without any luxuries, tend to be frugal when it comes to vehicle purchases, so this specimen is not a car with a mass appeal at that price.

I know that snow doesn't heavily rust cars - if it's not being driven on the road, but in New England, leaving a nice car outside in that weather is asking for trouble. Between the numerous icing events & freeze-thaw cycles, it wears cars in other ways, such as seals around windows shrinking and leaking, plastic parts cracking, door parts wearing out, tires dry-rotting, and paint/clearcoats wearing down more quickly to name a few. I think there's some concern that you'd take a car to this climate and just leave it outside.