84 4wd in Portland $250 w/replacement motor

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
rocketscience
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD SR5

84 4wd in Portland $250 w/replacement motor

Post by rocketscience »

Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: 84 4wd in Portland $250 w/replacement motor

Post by Petros »

Some one should save that Tercel4wd!

that looks like a great deal, but needs some work. har har, did you see the side listing 2016 Toyota Tercel? Title says 1984, which it appears to be, and SR5 as well.

The bad engine may just need a new exhaust valve, might be worth pulling the head and take a look. Fixing the head is easier than pulling and swapping the engine. You can than sell the good engine for $200. such a deal.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

$250 is cheap, I'd jump on it if it weren't so far away. Beaverton would be an expensive tow from here :/
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

if I was not up to my eyeballs in work and other responsibilities I would consider it.

It would be fun to bring a rebuilt head, swap it out in the guys driveway, and than drive it home, with the new engine in the back.
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

I hope deals like this are around when the Shitbox rally makes it to the states :)
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Could be something simple like a bad plug or wire.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

perhaps, but before I bought an engine I would want to know what is wrong. It seems foolish to replace an whole engine without knowing what is actually wrong. Though it is possible, I have seen it before. A frustrating problem someone can not track down, the owner will "give up" and say "lets just replace the whole engine". There has even been a few newbie forum members that acted this way. These older cars tend to intimidate people who have only worked on modern cars where they plug in their analyzer and it tells them what is wrong with it. With older cars you actually have to learn how it operates to be able to diagnose problems.

In this case, a compression test would tell you real quick if it a broke valve. If the compression is all good, than I would look at spark plugs, wires, even a bad vacuum leak could make it act like it is not running on all 4 cylinders. The sellers comment "Couldn't ever figure out how to fix it" I would presume that he check spark plugs, wires, and similar external components. Perhaps not, a compression test would have told him something too.

I got a free lawn mower once because the clueless owner pulled it out from his shed in the spring to mow the lawn, pulled the cord a bunch of times, than he went to Home Depot and bought another one. He gave it to me, I took it home and had it running about 6 or 8 min after I unloaded it. Used it for many years, than gave it away still running after we moved on to acreage. When I pulled the cord it had no compression and could hear air getting sucked in and out of the exhaust. I took the side cover off the valve chamber, the exhaust valve was stuck in the open position from sitting and not running all winter. I pushed it back and forth by hand to loosen it, sprayed some penetrating oil on it, put the cover back and pulled the cord and it started.
rocketscience
Top Notch Member

Post by rocketscience »

Well I emailed the guy, I have enough spare time to work on it and am about to sell my first Tercel to my neighbor so I'll have room in the drive. Just need to figure out how to tow it, I really need to install a hitch on my vw diesel. I love the idea of swapping the head in the driveway but I don't have the skills for that yet.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Borrow a truck and rent a towing dolly. Wish I could get it, have to got rid of one first, or two.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

manual transmission can be flat towed on its wheels with a tow bar. those can be rented, or I made one from some angle iron, a few big nuts and bolts, and a drill, custom bent to attach to the front tie down rings under the bumper on the Tercel. I has since used it on several hondas, two MR2s and a corolla.
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD SR5 Wagon : "The Brochure Car"

Post by bryanthompson »

rocketscience wrote:Well I emailed the guy, I have enough spare time to work on it and am about to sell my first Tercel to my neighbor so I'll have room in the drive. Just need to figure out how to tow it, I really need to install a hitch on my vw diesel. I love the idea of swapping the head in the driveway but I don't have the skills for that yet.

I hope you get it! We can do our restorations, simultaneously. :)
rocketscience
Top Notch Member

Post by rocketscience »

Eh I never heard back from him, somebody probably snagged it already
Bdeal223
My tercel:: Blue 1985 SR5 4WD

Post by Bdeal223 »

I was in Portland this weekend for a conference, drove my truck hoping to get a hold of the guy, emailed him twice and never heard back. I really wanted to tow that thing back home. Better luck next time I suppose.